Chapter 7

After sending my Grandfather the letter last night I got a good night's rest and woke up ready to get things into motion. After sending orders for breakfast, I had someone send a message to Sansa to join me. I need to make sure we are on the same page. I want us to be the "it couple" of Westeros, I'm just glad there are no paparazzi here in this world.

I stood up as Sansa was announced and let into the room. She is wearing one of the dresses I got her and she looks beautiful.

"You look more beautiful in that dress than I imagined," I say with a smirk as I help her take a seat.

"Thank you, My Prince. This dress has become a favorite of mine," she replies with a smile.

"I invited you to breakfast so I can catch you up on some things. As my future Queen I believe you have a right to know before the rest of the court does. When we were in Winterfell, my Mother and Uncle were caught engaging in sexual activities, they also confessed to having a hand in Jon Arryn's death. Their trials will be announced in front of the court tomorrow," I explained after we started eating.

"Oh Joffrey, I am so sorry. I just can't believe..." she trails off looking confused and disgusted before she shakes her head. "How are you? You seem so calm but if I was in your position I don't know how I would react," she says concerned.

"I am fine. Mother and I never had a good relationship and Jamie never acted like we were family. I just worry that this will start a war with the Lannisters," I said, running my hands through my hair with worry.
"If there is a war, you will have the north behind you and I know Father will agree. I will also be here to help you anyway I can," she says, taking my hand.

"I know you will. Anyways Father has decided to step down and hand over the throne early. My coronation is in a month, your Father will be named Protector of the Realm until I turn 18. A week after my coronation will be the trials. I was hoping that a week after that will be a good time to announce our betrothal to the court, with of course a feast to celebrate if that is okay with you of course," I say trying to include her in my planning.

"Of course, I did not even think about any of that," she says with a frown.

"Good. Now we need to discuss handmaidens. I already have one in mind, her name is Margaery Tyrell. She is the eldest daughter of Lord Mace Tyrell. She is 16 and very smart. I believe she can teach you a lot and become a very good confidant to you, however, she also desires to be Queen. I think if she were to become your handmaiden she might try to seduce me and I want you to know I would never betray you like that. If you can become a friend to her she will be very useful should a war start," I explained very seriously. She takes a minute to think. She's so cute when she thinks her nose crinkles up... adorable.

"If you believe she can be useful then I will take her as a handmaid. I will try to learn from her without trusting her too much at first but I would rather you not be alone with her," she says, her eyebrows moving together in worry.

"I will never be alone with her, you have my word. Now I don't feel comfortable with you having any handmaid from the westerlands. If you were to choose a Northerner they would not be conditioned to the ways of court but Alys Karstark would be a good fit if that's what you want. There is Bethany Blackwood daughter of Lord Tytos Blackwood bannerman of your grandfather. She is 13 and from what I hear a quiet and sweet girl. Jeyla Penrose, Granddaughter of Lord Penrose, is 15 and has been to court many times though I have never spoken to her. Maecy Estermont is the Great Granddaughter of Lord Estermont, she is a distant cousin I believe. Dyana Rykker, daughter of Lord Renfred Rykker, is also a regular at court. I have not spoken to her but Mother has complained about her many times which means she wasn't able to control her and it would do you some good to have someone like that. Then we have Desmera Redwyne, daughter of Lord Paxter Redwyne. She is Margaery Tyrell's cousin and I'm told they are very similar. As future Queen you are expected to have 7 handmaids from high houses but for now I want you to choose 5 so I may use the last two positions in case we do go to war. Invite them all to the capital if you like, you don't have to choose right away. Get to know them first and make sure to choose the ones you think will be trustworthy," I say reading from the list I had made.