Avina

With a graceful motion, the teacup was placed down on the saucer with a 'clink.'

"It's none of our faults our father couldn't keep it in his pants. "

Her face showed no emotion being rather dignified. The girl on the other side kept crying, looking like the pitiful creature she was. Avina had to sigh, relinquishing her image of dignity.

It had been 21 years since she was reborn. Based on her past experiences and the position she was born in, she had an inkling that this world was fictitious in some ways. The girl across from her was her half-sister and seemed to have all the circumstantial makings of a protagonist. If she had to guess where any of this was heading, stereotypically she would be some sort of antagonist. At first, Avina was joyous, she got to eat 'dog food' and reap the benefits of being rich when she realized maybe this was a cliche YA novel about romance. But her father was starting to become a sore spot and dampening her frivolous spirit. It was clearly tearing the poor girl across from her too. No, they didn't have a close relationship but it was a quiet understanding, she would like to think. But even with all the hardship and fast-paced situations thrown at the girl across from her she still had an air of naivety. Which was something to be said about.

"Look, you can't keep crying," she paused, thinking about how to word her next words to sound more considerate, "You'll definitely get through this and it's bound to happen a couple more times but when it does happen, You can't keep crying."

Avina had to grimace at her own words, she wasn't the best at being articulate. She sighed again and furrowed her brows. What happened to the fun parties and luxurious clothes and sweets she used to thrive in? She still had them but she didn't expect them to be the side dish to all this drama. The girl across from her sniffled looking ready to calm down and peered at Avina.

"Why are you being nice to me?" her voice was small sounding.

At the question, Avina felt a little consternation. She had to take a moment to reply but rather than saying her first thought at the question she responded with one of her own.

"When haven't I been kind to you before? Or rather Mean," Avina raised her brow.

The girl looked surprised at the innocuous question. Avina took a breath through her nose

"Dalila, you have to understand that even if I haven't done anything to you that doesn't mean my impression of you is unfavorable or favorable, really, it's a matter of principles." She looked into the girl's eyes.

She didn't intentionally avoid Delilah for the 6 years she had known her, She was just too caught up in being materialistic, in living her most comfortable life. It was a surprise when her father came home one day with two people standing behind his back, one being a girl around her age and a woman. They looked kind. It didn't surprise her that her father had an affair but it surprised her that he had brought them. Her mother was painfully resigned and in her shadowed demeanor, there was a familiarity that Avina tried to not acknowledge. In another world, she could trust that she would be jealous and demoralizing, putting all her time and energy into creating chaos for the two people who had come to her home. If it was ever intentional to avoid someone she would not deny it would be her own mother. The familiar pain in her mother's eyes was so aching and should have only pertained to her past life. She didn't want it to be here. She was selfish.

"Not everything I've done has you in thought," She leaned back, fixing her posture.

Dalila looked contemplative after what Avina said. When Avina found out about the affair she was left complicated. She easily convinced herself it was fair or normal, after all not all families are perfect. She didn't bother to think about the people it would affect or how they would cope with it. However, if she did have to blame anyone it would probably be her own father and Dalila's mother. Really. She scrunched up her eyebrows and took a sip from her tea before again setting it back down into the saucer.