04

"Summayya's here." Amal stepped away from the window, the voile inner curtain falling back into place. "You knew she was coming?"

Zayd nodded, buttoning up his shirt. "She called when you were in the bathroom." He then walked into the wardrobe to get a tie. "According to her, there are things we need to discuss before I get to the company. Also," He picked two ties; one blue and the other deep red, and then walked out of the wide space that held their belongings. "She wanted a companion throughout the ride to the office."

"She could have asked Hassan. I'm sure he would have been over the moon even though he would stupidly try to play it cool."

He had to laugh. "Amal, it's too early for this."

She rolled her eyes, smiling right after. With a sigh she walked over to where he stood in front of the mirror and took the blue tie from him. "You can wear the red another day, Architect Dantata...I can't even remember the last time I helped you with your tie."

Zayd could only stare at her as lovingly as he had always done since the first time they met. The years they had been married couldn't change anything; he only fell deeper and deeper. "You're doing it now."

The blush he loved so much stained her cheeks. Amal kept her gaze fastened on the task at hand, ensuring she knotted the tie perfectly. "Everything's slowly going back to normal...I was thinking of returning to work."

"You know there's no rush, right?"

She nodded, briefly looking up at him. "I do." She straightened the tie. "I just feel like I need to get back on track. Baby steps."

He stayed quiet for a moment. "How do you feel today, Amal?"

Satisfied with the tie, she smiled and raised her head. Her eyes met his and her smile softened. "Better than I've been in a while. I feel like yesterday was everything I needed, even though my sugar intake came back to bite me...How do you feel, Sa'ed?"

"Better than I've been too." He pulled her even closer, an arm steady around her waist. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you being better."

"Well, we have to heal and slowly move on...Like you always say, there's more to marriage than kids so I need to make the most of every moment."

"I love you, Amal."

Her cheeks darkened. "I love you too." She patted his chest. "Get dressed while I go and find Summayya's trouble. After all, we have some stuff from Hassan. I doubt she's had breakfast."

Zayd, who was glad she was getting back to normal, let her go. "I'm not even going to try and stop you. Just don't get her flustered too much. I need her to be proactive if I'm going to survive all the activities lined up today."

Amal was already at the door. "I'll try my best." She pulled it open. "Do you think the company will be busy today?"

He put on his cufflinks, doing so ever so gracefully. "It will be open but I doubt it'll be busy. Employees are only going to come in if they need to. It's a public holiday after all. Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. It just crossed my mind." She then stepped out of the room. "Hurry up, Zayd!"

"Yes ma'am."

She closed the door. Instead of heading straight down, she walked into the room she'd formed an indescribable bond with. It was the same as she'd left it the previous day and the laughter that was usually loud in her head was a little quieter. She couldn't help but wonder why. With a sigh, she walked out and descended the stairs.

Summayya stood immediately Amal walked into the living room. She smiled easily. "Good morning, Amal."

Amal smiled back, her face lighting up. "Good morning, Summayya. I had no idea you were coming in."