30

"Ladies and gentlemen, before we kick off this wonderful reception dinner in honour of Hanan and Zayd Dantata, I'll like to ask you to drop your Nigerian dancing shoes outside."

Frank's voice was heard by every single person in the compound owned by Blue Velvet. He brought a hand to his ear, a common move among Africans when they wanted people to listen attentively.

"I'm telling you now o! This is not a wedding where you'll shake body like tomorrow no dey. We go dance today but no be dat kind dance until after party don finish. Dis dinner go calm! I don talk my own."

Blue Velvet Marquee was almost at full capacity. Guests, dressed to slay, found their seats quite easily and the reserved tables were left empty. It was 8:15PM and although they were fifteen minutes behind schedule, no one seemed to mind.

Outside, the tinted vehicles had been parked. One by one, the Dantatas and Sufyans stepped out. The groomsmen stepped out of the final vehicles, Zayd stepping out last.

Inside the marquee, Frank adjusted his in-ear. "Alright ladies and gentlemen, we'll officially begin this ceremony in about five minutes. The celebrating families are here. Our groom is here too and according to the information I'm receiving, our bride is just around the corner...

"Once again, you are welcome to the reception dinner of Hanan and Zayd. I have to say, ladies and gentlemen, you all look so beautiful today. Thank you for following necessary protocols. For those just coming in, please find yourself a seat. Do not forget to please stay away from the reserved tables. They're reserved for a reason."

Debbie met everyone outside and she smiled widely. "Welcome."

When greetings were out of the way, she spoke again. "We're ready to welcome both families. As requested, the Sufyans will go in first and then the Dantatas will follow. Zayd, your entrance with your groomsmen comes after that, then the bridesmaids and then Hanan will walk in with Professor Yusuf. We're already running behind schedule so we're trying to catch up."

They all nodded and her smile widened. "So, please let's head to the entrance and take our places. Guests who arrive after this will be asked to use any of the side entrances...This way please."

The cars that contained the bridesmaids and the bride herself arrived mere seconds after they were led away. Yusuf was the only one left behind. He smiled the moment Hanan stepped out of a black Wrangler. "There's my princess."

She smiled back. "Hi, Daddy."

When places were taken, Debbie had them alert Frank. He nodded to confirm her message had been received. He then beamed at the guests seated.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen, without any further delay, please join me in welcoming the bride's family! If you feel like dancing in with them, please feel free to do so...Led by Linda Sufyan, the mother of our beautiful bride, please welcome the Sufyans!"

Guests cheered as Banky W's 'Made For You' began to play. One of the guests from Hanan's side smiled. "They really meant it when they said it was going to be a calm dinner." She nodded in approval. "This is good. We need something different once in a while."

The Sufyans were dressed in blush purple and gold; the women in two toned mesh lace with embroidered flowers and golden aso-oke headpieces while the men wore agbadas/babanrigas in a darker shade, the knitting done in gold. Like other guests, the women sat on the left while the men sat on the right; something Hanan had fought for, Zayd backing her all the way. When they had all taken their seats, Frank stopped swaying and the volume of the song was brought down.

"Omo, these calm songs are nice o." He smiled widely. "The Sufyans are one of the realest families I've been opportune to meet in this lifetime. They're really simple people who crack the funniest jokes. If you eat Mrs Linda Sufyan's pounded yam and groundnut soup ehn –"