42

Hanan went home immediately after praying Asr on Friday, April 1st. The Ramadan crescent had been sighted in Saudi Arabia. Therefore, the chances of the Sultan of Sokoto sighting the moon in Nigeria that night were high.

Melody was in the kitchen when she arrived and Hanan was relieved to see Zayd had gotten people to go to the market on her behalf and Amal's so both kitchens were stocked up throughout the fasting period. Melody had put everything in its place and Hanan was more than grateful. She had sent Linda and Hauwa back to Edo the day before.

She told Melody to close early for the day so she could personally prepare dinner for Zayd. The other woman hesitated, her gaze slowly coming to rest on Hanan's bump that became more visible with each passing day.

Hanan sighed. "I assure you that I will be fine, Melody. For the thousandth time, I'm pregnant and not handicapped."

"Ah, Madam, I never said you were handicapped o. It's just that since you got pregnant, you've avoided kitchen work and I really don't want you to harm or stress yourself. You already had a long day at work and your family members have gone home so let me just-"

"Melody," Hanan's voice matched her smile; warm and fuzzy. "I promise you, I'll be fine. You've had a long day too, settling everything for me."

"That's what you pay me to do and you have been the nicest madam I've had so I don't mind doing it."

Hanan's smile widened. "So please listen to me and go home, Melody. I can handle this."

"Are you sure, Madam? I don't want Oga to kill me o."

Hanan laughed. "I'm sure, Melody. Zayd won't kill you, I promise."

Melody gave in reluctantly and when she finally left, Hanan went upstairs to change so working in the kitchen could be as comfortable as ever. She was exactly fourteen weeks gone and according to all tests and scans, she and her babies were doing okay. Her bump was more visible but was hidden perfectly under her new abayas, dresses and boubous.

Each time she got home, she switched those outfits for maternity tops and shorts or floral dresses. She did not like wearing them most times but Zayd did not like her walking around the house completely naked so she had to compromise. The good part about it all was that she could wear his clothes when she did not feel like wearing hers and he knew better than to complain. He had healing nail scratches and bite marks to stop him from making certain remarks and those minor injuries were not ending anytime soon.

Dressed in one of his shirts and a pair of maternity shorts, Hanan made a mental note to loosen her cornrows soon and made her way back to the kitchen. She stared at the contents of the freezer and fridge for a long while before she decided to prepare pasta. They had some orange juice which she would give to him while she helped herself which the mango juice she and their babies loved so much.

She welcomed the peace of the house and she worked quicker than she expected. As soon as she finished setting the table, the Adhan for Maghrib was called and she heard the compound gate go open, signalling Zayd's arrival.

Her phone rang. She brought the device to her ear when the call was accepted. "Mrs Muhammad Dantata, I was to call you today but I swear to God, I forgot. We can blame Jonathan for that. Since he found out about our pregnancy, he's been teasing me nonstop."

Amal chuckled over the line. "Hello to you too, Mrs Sufyan Dantata. Is that what we're calling ourselves now?"

Hanan smiled as she made her way to the main door to unlock it. "Nah, I just wanted to do it. How are you today, Amal?"

"Good, Alhamdulillah. I just finished preparing dinner and I'm waiting to hear if we're to start fasting tonight or tomorrow."

Hanan's smile widened when she heard Zayd on the other side of the door. "Do you want it to start tonight?"