❀ 52

'cause i don't wanna live without you
i don't wanna ever learn
how to fall asleep without you
tell me what's worse
losing you now or later?

Hwayoung couldn't breathe. The news struck her like lightning. It was horrible.

"Wh-what? That doesn't make sense..." she choked out. She couldn't believe the words she was hearing. It wasn't true. Her grandma was at home cooking right now, waiting with plates of pre-cut fruits.

"She has been suffering for a few weeks now. Has she not told you of her visits we've been having?" Dr. Mayor quirked his brow. It was like he was so used to telling people of dead relatives it didn't affect him anymore.

"No, she hasn't," she muttered.
"Well then I guess this is a surprise to you. She knew her time was near," he patted her shoulder reassuringly. "Feel free to take a seat and you can talk about the body collecting with the receptionist."

He sent them both a small smile and walked away.

Hwayoung hadn't processed anything yet. It was definitely a prank. It had to be. She was just waiting for the cameras to appear with her grandma laughing happily, going in for a hug. "Oh my dear Hwa," she would say. "I'm so sorry. The look on your face was precious."

But the cameras never came.

"Hwayoung..." Minho held her shoulders softly. "Please sit down."

He wanted to go home and cry himself, but he couldn't. He had to take care of her or who knew what would happen. Hwayoung was the only real family he had left.

But his voice sounded so far away to her, like they weren't in the same room. Or the same universe. But still, she immediately sat down. It was as if Hwayoung was a robot with no emotions, just following someone's orders.

He moved next to her, flitting his eyes on her emotionless face. "I didn't know either," he said.
"It's fine Minho," she replied blankly.
"Okay."

They sat in silence, not one of them having the courage to utter a word. The feeling of emptiness was so foreign to Hwayoung. Yes, she was in so much pain when Donghyuck and her got into a fight but this was different.

She hadn't only lost her grandma. She lost herself too.

"Can I see her?" she broke the silence. Speaking felt forced.
"I don't know if we can Hwayoung," Minho sighed.
"I need to see her. Please," she looked at him, a flash of desperation in her eyes. The only emotion she had felt in the past hour.

He didn't need much pleading from her as he stood up immediately, walking over to the receptionist. If it would make her feel something, feel like a real human, he would find a way.

Hwayoung couldn't hear their conversation but she could tell he was getting frustrated after minutes of bantering with the lady.

She looked tired. She must've been used to this kind of thing. Dealing with crazy family members who want to see their dead relatives. It must suck to feel so much weakness coming from humans. Seeing them at their most vulnerable state.

Minho opened his phone, pointing at his screen until she finally agreed. The receptionist sighed, calling over a nurse to let them in.

He followed behind her, going toward Hwayoungs direction.

"You have five minutes," he whispered to her.
"What about you?" her breathing was shaky. She knew how important her grandma was to Minho too. It wouldn't have been fair to use up all the time alone.