CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

DAY 07
CANIS DEPARTMENT
BLACKWATER
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

SEEING THE WAY that Dr. Grant's expression darkened into one of pure murderous rage sent a chill down my spine. It was an expression of the psychotic rage of a man with a tainted history he would do anything to keep hidden.

I watched as Dr. Grant slowly began to stand, grunting against the pain from being tossed into a wall. His dark gaze watched me in return, his scalpel glinting under the dull fluorescent lights hanging from the concrete ceiling.

"We have to go!" I whispered quickly to Seven, bracing myself against the wall as I stood.

Even small movements were excruciating and I bit my lip as an agonizing pain shot up my leg from where Dr. Grant has sliced my Achilles tendon. Nevertheless, realizing I was in for far worse pain if I stayed, I managed to stand, keeping my weight off my injured leg.

Meanwhile, Seven had turned his attention away from me. When I spoke to him, he barely even seemed to hear me. Instead, he was staring at Dr. Grant across the room in a mix of fear and shock. Like he couldn't believe he actually attacked him and was now bracing for the consequences.

I, however, was not about to wait around and find out. As soon as I could stand, I made a break for it.

"Come on!" I yelled, grabbing Seven by the arm and pulling him toward the door.

Hastily, I limped across the room as I pulled Seven along. When Dr. Grant had entered, I didn't remember hearing him lock the door so if I was correct in assuming his narcissistic tendencies of overconfidence, then it would open as soon as I pulled on it.

However, I was not quick enough.

As I reached for the door handle, I heard the sound of movement from behind me. I turned just in time to see Dr. Grant rush toward Seven, his scalpel in one hand and a full syringe of that strange serum in the other. My eyes widened in horror as he raised it, aiming for Seven's neck.

But there was no way in hell I was about to let him do that again.  

Without thinking, I pulled Seven behind me, stepping toward Dr. Grant to grab his wrist the hand holding the syringe. Taking hold of his wrist, I wrestled Dr. Grant away from Seven as I tried desperately to take the syringe from his strong grasp. However, as I fought with him, I focused on the syringe and realized my mistake too late. 

I saw the scalpel move out of the corner of my vision before a searing pain followed, making me cry out as the scalpel pierced my side. Gritting my teeth, I immediately reacted. I knew I couldn't wrestle the syringe from his death grip, so I did the next best thing.  Something he wasn't expecting which allowed me to take advantage of his momentary confusion. With both hands, I tightened my grip on Dr. Grant's wrist, twisting his arm so that the needle of the syringe was pointed at him. Seeing my intent, Dr. Grant began to fight me.

I wrestled with him as I fought to push the syringe toward his chest, his eyes widening in fear as I slowly inched it closer and closer.

Just then, an arm shot out from behind me, covering my hands that held the syringe and pushing it straight into Dr. Grant's chest. Immediately Dr. Grant cried out in pain, releasing his grip on me to look down in shock as I emptied the contents of the serum into his chest.

I let out a breath as Dr. Grant stumbled back, sucking in panicked gasps of air as he clutched his chest with shaky hands. 

"What have you done!" Dr. Grant shouted as his body began to shake violently, the tremors causing him to fall to his knees.

I watched in horror as blue and red veins sprouted across his blood-rushed face as he strained against whatever reaction was happening inside his body. Whatever was happening to him didn't look good, and after what I saw it do to seven, I didn't want to stick around and find out.