CHAPTER NINETEEN

DAY 07
CANIS DEPARTMENT
BLACKWATER
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

STUMBLING WITH MY gun in panic at the sight of Dr. Grant's charging form, I aimed again, doing my best to calm my shaking body before firing.

Another loud bang rang out through the hallway, echoing off the grey concrete walls boxing me in with the terrifying sight of the creature Dr. Grant had become. The shot of my gun was soon followed by an anguished cry as the bullet lodged its way into Dr. Grant's soldier, knocking him off his track and stumbling into the concrete wall beside him.

Watching as he crashed, I took a brief moment to glance at Seven. He was laying face down where Dr. Grant had thrown him, but by the slight rise and fall of his back, he was still breathing. It shocked me how relieved I was to see that he was okay, but I didn't have time to think too much about it.

Just hang on a little longer Seven...I thought inwardly, even though he couldn't hear me.

An enraged cry startled me from my thoughts, and I looked over just in time to see a furious Dr. Grant push off the wall. Grunting, his teeth were pulled into a snarl as he stood, turning his hunched and twisted body to face me once again. Fresh crimson blood now poured from the wound on his shoulder, yet he seemed barely affected by it.

His breathing was heavy as he steadied himself back on his feet, turning his crazed gaze to my wide eyes.

"I should have killed you when I had the chance..." Dr. Grant seethed, staring at me.

"Ditto." I said, raising my gun again.

However, Dr. Grant was fast. As soon as I let another bullet fly from my gun, he pushed off the wall, dodging it.

Shit.

Not waiting, I turned and began to run like hell down the hallway. Seven would be fine, but I couldn't say the same about myself. Suddenly I noticed how light my gun felt in my hand and in my mind, I counted down all the bullets I had fired.

The researcher...

Dr. Grant three times...

Shit...only two rounds left...I cursed to myself.

I had to make them count.

Running down the hallway, I could hear the unsteady cadence of footsteps following behind me. With each step they got closer and closer.

Shit shit shit...

In his raged and serum-morphed state, Dr. Grant was fast. At this rate, he would catch me before I had a chance to find cover and get a more accurate shot. One that could kill.

I had no choice, I had to use another round.

Biting my lip, I stopped, turning around to aim at his approaching figure. Yet, even facing the barrel of a gun, he was undeterred. Taking a breath, I steadied myself and aimed at a spot I knew I could hit even on his running form. Years of field experience and target practice shaped my stance as I held firm. I couldn't risk a headshot, it was too risky with how unsteady he ran. In my mind, I was left with one option. When he was only a few yards away, I pressed down on the trigger.

The bullet exploded from my gun, whipping through the air before sinking into Dr. Grant's stomach. A deadly spot to take a bullet, but a slow killer. One I didn't have time for.

Upon impact, Dr. Grant crumbled, yelling out as he clutched his stomach and fell to the ground. But I knew that in his manic state it wouldn't keep him down for long.

Taking advantage of the distraction, I ran off down the hall, picking one of the many rooms to hide in. Glancing back, Dr. Grant was still too focused on his wounds and trying to stand to see where I was going. Slipping into the room, I closed the door and ran behind the desk.