Untitled Part 2

The atmosphere at "Wild Berry" was always pleasant. Fresh coffee and food during the day, and Katsuki's crafted drinks by night. A smooth jazz tune painted the air with a comforting tone, and Katsuki Bakugou was a silent conductor behind the counter. The worn wooden floor seemed to hum beneath his polished shoes, matching his pace as he navigated his domain. He wore a white shirt and black apron, his ash-blond hair falling in his eyes as he worked the coffee machine and dishes. The delicate chime of china and the hiss of the coffee machine crafted a familiar symphony, a tune he knew by heart.

"Katsuki, dear, have you seen this?" Mrs. Harper's voiceprint fluttered over the counter, soft and weathered like an old vinyl record. Dressed in a pastel floral dress that echoed her kindly nature, she gestured towards a newspaper headline with a trembling hand.

Without needing to look, Katsuki already knew the subject. The story of Nana's murder had spread through the town like a plague, leaving a bitter taste in his mouth every time they brought it to his attention. Even a week later, the chilling image of her propped corpse intruded upon his dreams, causing him to wake up drenched in sweat. He ran a hand through his hair, the crisp scent of his shampoo a slight comfort against the weight of the topic.

"Can't dodge it, Mrs. Harper," he replied, his voice a taut wire. "The town's like a bloodhound on a scent."

"Remember when we hadn't seen such horror since you were just a knee-high rascal? Rei's efforts to pull us from the slums seem overshadowed now."

Mrs. Harper clicked her tongue sympathetically before returning to her table and leaving Katsuki to his peace. The rich scent of roasted beans engulfed him, the steam from the machine gently warming his face. But the chime of the door snapped him from his reverie, his body stiffening at the entry of a now too-familiar figure.

"Midoriya," Katsuki muttered, the name more a growl to himself than an announcement.

The moment Katsuki's gaze fell on Izuku Midoriya, the recent newcomer to the town, it was as if a tidal wave of sensations and memories surged through him. The ambient chatter and clatter around him seemed to fade into a dull hum as a vivid memory from just two days prior enveloped him.

It was as though it bathed him in the warmth of golden sunlight, the scent of freshly cut grass wrapping around him like a gentle hug. He had been mowing Mrs. Saotome's lawn as part of his mother's elder outreach program. His muscles had been straining under the oppressive heat, his shirt sticking to his back with sweat.

Then there was Izuku - fixing Mrs. Saotome's A.C. unit, the triumphant smile on his face. The elderly woman had been all praises, showering him with gratitude. But what had twisted Katsuki's insides was the glance Izuku had thrown his way—a blend of smugness and challenge, as if to say, 'Look what I can do.'

The memory was so tangible that Katsuki could almost taste the souring of the lemonade he'd been drinking, as bitterness overpowered its sweetness.

Just as abruptly as the memory had swept him away, the present snapped back into sharp focus. The sights and sounds of the bar returned with an almost physical jolt, and Katsuki had to steady himself. He glowered at Izuku, the green-eyed newcomer who had somehow managed to unsettle him in ways he didn't fully grasp.

This incident at Mrs. Saotome's place was just one in a series of maddening encounters. Like a mole burrowing relentlessly into a garden, Izuku kept tunneling his way into every nook and cranny of Katsuki's neighborhood.

Katsuki's eyes connected with Izuku's, and an electric charge seemed to crackle between them, intensifying the air between them. With a furrowed brow, Katsuki whirled around to face Mina, whose pink hair seemed to reflect her vivacity.