Untitled Part 8

Katsuki was still lost in the moment's intensity when Izuku abruptly pulled back. "Wait," Izuku said, looking straight into Katsuki's eyes, his tone firm but troubled.

Katsuki blinked in surprise. This wasn't the turn he had expected. "What the hell, Izuku?" he huffed, trying to keep his voice steady despite the swell of confusion and disappointment. "You pull me back in for that second kiss, and now you're putting the brakes on? Make up your damn mind."

Izuku's gaze lowered momentarily before meeting Katsuki again. "It's complicated," he replied with a frustrated sigh. "I can't get involved with anyone right now, especially not here, not while all this is going on."

Katsuki's irritation flared. He felt exposed, a sensation he detested. He stood up abruptly, ready to escape the confounding atmosphere. "Fine," he spat, heading to the door, the weight of unspoken emotions and words left hanging between them.

Izuku was quick to follow. "Katsuki, don't be stupid," he said, grabbing Katsuki's arm. "It's late, and after that fight earlier, it's not safe. Just stay."

Katsuki snatched his arm away, anger clear in his crimson eyes. "You think I can't handle myself, newcomer? Or are you offering out of pity?"

Before Izuku could retort, Katsuki pushed through the door and out into the night.

The familiar urban surroundings, bathed in the muted glow of streetlights, were strangely comforting. Katsuki knew his way around every alley and street corner. He might not fear the streets, but he wasn't keen on a long trek back home, either. He reached for his phone, dialing Dabi's number.

Katsuki waited for a few rings before Dabi's voice came through, slightly muffled and noticeably weary. "Why aren't you with the newcomer?"

Even through the phone, Katsuki could sense the underlying tension in his brother's tone. "Enough with the jokes. Can you pick me up or not?" Katsuki replied tersely, his own frustrations momentarily sidelined by the concern for his family.

There was a brief pause, and then Dabi's familiar teasing tone returned, albeit a touch softer. "Easy there, little bro. Where are you?"

"End of Elmer's, near the factories," Katsuki replied.

"You're still in Crow's territory this late? Damn, that's risky," Dabi chided, a tinge of concern seeping into his voice.

Katsuki huffed. "We're far enough away. They won't bother."

There was a beat of silence before Dabi cautiously ventured, "Maybe you should suggest the newcomer move to a more neutral area."

Katsuki wasn't in the mood to discuss Izuku's choices. Redirecting the conversation, he asked, "How's Toga?"

Dabi sighed, the weight of the day's events clear in that simple gesture. "She's Toga - pissed off, but she's recovering. Her girlfriend's keeping an eye on her now, so I can come get you."

Katsuki nodded, even though Dabi couldn't see it. "I'll be waiting."

The street lights cast a dim hue as Dabi's car pulled up. The engine's rumble was the only sound that pierced the stillness of the night. Katsuki slid into the passenger seat, the cold leather of the chair offering no comfort. They didn't speak, the silence between them carrying the weight of shared memories, worries, and the recent horrors that plagued their community. Each street light they passed illuminated the concerns clear on their faces, yet they continued in silence, comforted by the other's presence.

Days later, the atmosphere was no less tense.

The stark room seemed colder than it should be, a hard contrast to the muggy atmosphere outside. Faded beige tiles lined the floor, and the walls held a shade of grey that seemed to suck the warmth out of everything. The only significant piece of furniture was the metal table in the middle of the room, handcuffs hanging off one side. Damien Nakamura sat across from Inasa, a tower of a man with broad shoulders and an intimidating demeanor. But Inasa wasn't one to back down easily. His sharp eyes, framed by wild, windswept hair, bore into Damien, leaving no room for deceit.