Untitled Part 5

Izuku's solemn face was lit by passing streetlights inside the truck's dimly lit interior. His gaze remained transfixed on the desolate streets ahead, knuckles whitening as they gripped the edge of his seat.

"Jeez, you're as tense as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockers," Katsuki's gruff voice shattered the silence, bouncing off the cold metal interior of the vehicle. The weight of their unsaid words hung in the air like a storm cloud, refusing to be dispersed by Katsuki's attempted humor.

When Izuku only response was an unamused scowl on his face, Katsuki focused on calling his dads number while keeping on hand on the wheel.

As his father's groggy voice rang out after the third ring, worry infused his every word. "Katsuki? It's late, what's..."

"I've got something. A guy named Sato," Katsuki cut him off, his voice laced with an unshakeable resolve. "This is about Camie's attack."

Silence ensued, filled only by his father's sigh of resignation. "Katsuki, I told you, this isn't..."

"I know, Pops, I know," Katsuki interjected, his heart pounding in his chest. "But can you look into this guy's alibi for me?"

His father's voice held a tension that Katsuki had become all too familiar with. "I'll check to see who's leading the investigation and pass along the info. Can you please just be careful?"

A smirk tugged at Katsuki's lips, a familiar defiance sparking in his eyes. "Sure, old man."

Mina's bar buzzed with life and laughter, but the usual revelry held a new undertone of tension. Katsuki noticed it as soon as he walked in - the rapid whispers of Camie's name that filtered throughout the bar, while female patrons lingered in small cliques, cautious as they held onto their drinks, unwilling to put them down unattended. A tangible restlessness pervaded the air, a sharp contrast to the usual carefree nights he'd spent in this place.

Mina herself greeted him with a strained smile, an unmistakable worry clouding her eyes. "Katsuki and you're with Freckles," she greeted, her tone lighter than her expression. "Didn't think I'd be seeing you two together."

Katsuki couldn't resist a smirk. "Don't get used to it."

Her laugh rang hollow as she retorted, "And here I thought I remember you saying you hated him."

"Hey!" Izuku chimed in, mock hurt playing on his face. "I thought we were getting along pretty well."

"Oh, please," Katsuki grumbled, his eyes rolling dramatically. "Don't flatter yourself, newcomer."

Mina's laughter this time was a bit more genuine, her hands busy pouring drinks. The casual chatter continued, a welcome reprieve from the strain of the day's events. But the real reason for their visit still loomed over Katsuki like a thundercloud.

It was Katsuki who finally broached the subject. "We were hoping to talk about Camie."

The light in Mina's eyes dimmed. "Why? Trying to play detective, Katsuki?"

Katsuki's jaw clenched. "Not playing," he shot back. "Just trying to help."

Mina's laughter rang out over the din of the bar, her gaze steady on Katsuki. "Always the hero, aren't you?" she remarked, her voice carrying a note of fondness. "Just don't forget, you're not bulletproof."

Katsuki turned his attention back to the crowd, the bar buzzing with energy, its undercurrent of tension hard to ignore. It created a strange dissonance that grated on his nerves. He was here for a reason, and it wasn't to enjoy the nightlife.