The Uncrowned Alpha

"Vin?" I panted from running through the woods with my little legs to reach the training fields. But I didn't care. All I cared about was the only person close to my heart in the whole pack was leaving me.

My step-brother's cold silver gaze fell on my small form standing in front of him. But I could tell those eyes weren't as cold for me as they were for others.

"Little butterfly? What are you doing here? Didn't I forbid you from wandering too far from the packhouse?" The dark thick brows of his furrowed. He was always concerned about my safety. Only him.

Tears formed in my eyes, my lower lip trembled. Sniffling, I looked down at my hands. "U-uncle Donovan said, y-you are leaving for Alpha training tonight?"

Gripping my chin gently, he made me look up into his silver eyes. A muscle of his jaw ticked. "Is my little butterfly scared?"

My nod was slow. Another tear fell from my eyes as I stepped closer to him, clutching the hem of his shirt in my fists. "W-who will protect me from mean people? I-i can't live without you here. Please…don't go. Don't leave me."

He was my everything in this cruel pack. People said he was my brother, but he never liked to acknowledge the relationship. He was more of my guardian angel, my best friend, than my step-brother.

A tight smile tugged at his lips. Holding my gaze, he took my hands in his bigger and rougher ones. "I will never leave my butterfly even if it's the end of the world. Don't forget that. I will always protect you even if I'm away. This separation is only for some time, sweetheart. So I can be powerful enough to always keep you beside me."

The last sentence came out much as a growl. Something flashed across his silver eyes. I didn't understand the emotion, but the determination in his voice comforted me.

My Vin wasn't leaving me for good. He would always protect me. 

I wiped my tears and blinked. "S-swear on me you will come back soon? Pinky promise?"

His lips curled up into a smirk as he wrapped his finger around my small one. "Pinky promise. I will come back soon, to claim what is rightfully mine."

A loud pounding on the door made me jolt awake on my bed. Squinting my eyes, I glanced at the door.

I was dreaming again…

"Is the Cinderella done with her beauty sleep? Get downstairs now!" Aunt Jude's harsh voice came through the wooden door, making me flinch. "Come down and make breakfast this instant! We don't feed you for being a sloth!"

"I'm up, Aunt! Give me two minutes," I replied in a low voice, knowing her werewolf ears could hear me just fine.

"Fast! Ophelia is going to come downstairs soon for breakfast. You don't want to anger her again."

Even the mere name of the Beta's daughter put my nerves on alert. Her characteristics were polar opposite to uncle Donovan.

My eyes roamed over the scattered letters beside my pillow. The letters I received from him…From my Vin.

My heart clenched as my eyes burned with unshed tears.

Since he left for his training when I was eleven, he always used to send letters to me every month filled with sweet words, questions about my whereabouts and orders to stay away from troubles, especially boys. I used to wait for them eagerly every month.

Until one day, all of it stopped. As if… he stopped caring for his little butterfly. The last letter I got from him was on my sixteenth birthday three years ago. I didn't receive any more letters from him since then, nor did he answer any of mine. I didn't even know if he even read them.