Heartbroken

Young women and some other higher ranked wolves from the pack rushed towards the main entrance to welcome the future Alpha. Ophelia's eager self was there in her expensive red gown.

While my heart raced fast in my chest, gasps and awws echoed across the crowd. And then I felt it. The heavy pressure on the air, the burden on my shoulders as if forcing me to submit. Each person present in the room felt it, even father and Luna Ralph.

My wolf was restless in my mind, sudden goosebumps rolled across my skin. And then the most delicious scent I had ever taken entered my nostrils. Smell of woods mixed with fire and musk.

My Vin…

Taking a few steps ahead with desperation to see a glimpse of him, I tried to peek through the buzzing crowd. But all the moving people were blocking my vision. The most I could see was the top of his head with midnight dark hair.

My eyes burned with tears at the swarm of emotions slamming into me. After so many years… My wolf yearned to go close to him and hide into his familiar arms.

As I was about to run towards him, a hand grabbed my elbow.

"Stop! You're going to end up in the dungeon again if you go near him!" Mia hissed, pointing ahead where Luna Ralph rushed to greet her son. My father followed behind.

In my eagerness, I totally forgot about her. She had once locked me up in the dungeon for a whole day finding me trying to sneak into Vin's room after he was gone. I needed something that belonged to him closer to me to sleep at night. Thanks to uncle Donovan I was saved from the whips I was going to receive. My own father didn't help me out. He never did.

"The potion I gave you to cover your scent only works as long as you stay far away from someone. But if you get close, the alpha family is going to know about your presence!" Mia reminded me of the danger I was in.

But…Vin was here tonight, wasn't he?

"I…I need to see him, Mia," I whispered, staring at the crowd that blocked him from my view.

"See who? The soon to be Alpha?"

A voice made us freeze.

Ophelia stood right behind us. Her eyes were bloodred, the maskara in her right eye was smudged. A rage hid behind her blue orbs. But somehow she managed to be calm.

When did she slip away from the crowd around him? I thought she was eager to meet him.

"You think you are safe from now on now that Alpha Vinson is here? You're really pathetic, aren't you?" She let out a mocking laugh. "You really think he still cares about his bastard stepsister? Poor Aurora, he is going to get too busy from now on. After all, he got someone who is gonna keep his mind engaged all the time."

Something churned inside my stomach. "W-what do you mean?"

She jutted her chin towards the crowd surrounding him. But now…I could see his back. His broad shoulders, powerful back. Towering over everyone around him, donning a charcoal suit that wrapped around his muscles in a tight grip, he stood there with his hands in his pockets.

Though he was engaged in a conversation with some other Alphas, his posture was tense. His gaze flickered around the room.

My heart skipped. "Vin…"

A whisper left my lips. His shoulders tensed. A low rumble as if from a ferocious beast rang throughout the hall, silencing everyone. A tremble ran through me. My wolf purred. Turning over his shoulder, he slowly turned around.

Sharp silver eyes met my hazels. And I stopped breathing.

My body trembled as if a jolt of something deliciously powerful ran through me. My heart started pounding and a heat burned through my skin. My wolf howled in my mind, as if scratching beneath to come out. An urge to shift and run into his arm came over me.