42 | i still love you, ivy

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

I V Y T H O M P S O N

JJ has agreed to get Finn out of the house this afternoon to try to get him to talk openly about his undiagnosed addiction with alcohol. I'm praying it's just a phase because with everything going on, life is stressful.

I've seen the way he's been deteriorating. He's barely functioning.

Finn wakes up, he goes to work and then goes to bed. I don't even think he's seen Cal or Joe since the news of Ben getting out of prison. He's been keeping himself to himself and now I'm worried he's drowning in alcohol in private.

I lounge on my bed, looking forward to a night in. JJ kept us both up late into the night and now I'm exhausted. That man is a fucking machine–literally. I wanted to give in but he kept telling him to give him more, that I can always give him more. I have no idea how I comply but I do and fuck... I've never felt so spent in my life.

Truthfully, my body is crying for some rest. I'm certainly going to be doing that tonight.

A knock at my bedroom door stirs me from the book I'm reading. When JJ steps into view, a small smile slashes across my face. "Hi," I exhale as I shift on my bed.

He peers back into the hall and then moves inside. "Hey," he says, shutting the door quietly behind him. "You okay?"

I press my lips together and hum, crossing my legs in front of me. "Yeah, just doing a bit of reading. You?"

"Yeah," he rasps, walking to the edge of my bed. His hand slips under my chin and tilts towards him, then he lowers down and brushes his lips over mine. "I'm going out with Finn now. I'm not sure when we'll be back but I'm praying it'll be a long conversation, away from the pub or a bar. Just us, no one else."

My lips curl softly. "I'm glad you're doing this. I want to talk to him but I think when I do, everything reminds him of Ben and he can't escape his thoughts. I hope it goes well."

"Me too," he kisses me again. "I'm gonna try my hardest. Even if he's stubborn, I've got to do something before it's too late."

"Agreed," I murmur, my lips turning into a frown. "He needs to know how much we all worry about him and how much we all care about him. I wish I could get him out of his head but it's proving difficult."

JJ continues to tilt my head, tracing shapes beneath my chin and towards my neck. "Sounds like someone I know."

I roll my eyes. "But I have gotten out of my head, a lot more than I used to be. Thanks to you. Now you can help him. You have the perfect amount of patience and understanding but authority with your opinions. He trusts you, he adores you. Knowing all of this comes from you, it should go a long way."

"Mmm," he nods, staring adoringly into my eyes. "I guess I have that magic touch."

Now I'm beaming. "True."