49 | always worth the risk

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

I V Y T H O M P S O N

I don't know why I've woken up with a pang of dread and now it's following me around with everything I do. I take too long in the shower, I burn my toast, I spill orange juice all over the counter.

Knowing that summer is coming to an end rapidly makes me feel nauseous. I've been avoiding bringing it up for the fact that I don't want our situation to be a reality. The thought of not seeing him every day fills me with sadness.

But I have to keep reminding myself that it's only for a year. We can visit each other when we've got time and there are such things as half term. Right?

A large arm wraps around my waist and tugs me into a warm chest. Then a pair of lips meet my neck and I smile at the comfort JJ brings me. "Hi, you," he exhales before kissing my pulse.

"Hi," I exhale slowly.

"What's the matter, princess?"

I tilt my head but stare at the wall. "My mind feels like it's going into overload."

JJ takes my hips in his hands and twists me around so that I'm facing him. He searches my face for answers but I shake my head, my throat feeling like it's full of multiple golf balls and I'm choking with this conversation.

"What are you over-thinking?"

"Us."

He pulls back and I see a slash of hurt and confusion run through his eyes. "What?"

I shake my head. "No," I close my eyes. "Not like that. I mean going back to University, making time for one another, not seeing each other. It's going to be different. It's going to be hard not seeing you all the time and I guess I'm worried that we'll become distant and that's the last thing I want."

JJ's shoulders visibly drop when he listens to me speak. His tongue extends to drag across his bottom lip before inhaling a slow breath. I feel his finger and thumb latch onto my chin and tilt my eyes to his gently.

"Ivy, I love you," his voice is raw like gravel and I shudder right down my spine. "You're my girlfriend that I will do absolutely anything for. A bit of time apart isn't going to affect us at all. I get why you're worrying but we'll still see each other. Please, don't start freaking out before we're even there. I want to spend these last few days with you and forget about everything else."

"Yeah," I rasp. "Sure."

He presses his forehead against mine, bending down to reach my level. "Oh, come on," he whispers with a smile. "Think about all the hot phone sex we'll be having. And then when we finally see each other, how hot the physical sex will be."

I roll my eyes playfully. "Of course sex is the first thing you think of."

"Oh don't pretend that you won't be missing my tongue fucking your sweet pussy," he mumbles as he lowers his lips to the shell of my ear. "Princess, I'm going to be missing you every damn day."