5

THE KING
~Jaxson's Pov~

"Alright, now you got what I told you? If you get Arabella to fall for you, don't do anything in front of her mother because she'll definitely try to start a scandal," Bridger whispers as we both stand in front of the houstings home.

Their home was shaped like Bridger's but more large since they are a family of four, they even had another floor. Bridger and I stayed up most of the night even debating on showing up to meet Mrs. and Mr. Houstings, but I needed to do this, this is the sole purpose of why I left the palace.

I'm already in too deep.

"And what if she doesn't want us to work for her?" I retort.

He shrugs. "Make sure whoever gets the job doesn't show up." He now sends me a smirk.

"You filthy dog." I couldn't help but laugh.

The door opens slowly, and a middle aged woman appears. She raises a brow at us, giving a small smile. "Hello."

Bridger coughs a little, holding his hand out. "Mrs. Houstings, we saw your flier assisting for help. We'd love to help, if you'll have us."

Mrs. Housting's eyes cut to me, raising a brow and I gave her a charming smile, holding my hand out. "Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Houstings. I'm Oden Adams."

"Oden," she says aloud, greeting me. "And you are?" She looks over to Bridger.

"Bridger Cunningham."

"Come in, I shall tell you the rules of this home if you want to help." She waves us in and I close the door behind us. A lady that I assume is the oldest, walks from the hall and stops when she eyeballs Bridger and I.

"This is my eldest daughter, Serena," Mrs. Houstings announces, holding onto her daughter's shoulder.

Serena sends us a small wave. "Hello."

"Bridger, I'll need you to watch after her and make sure she's safe and happy," she says to Bridger who keeps eyeing Serena who is clueless. "That also means no falling for my girls neither they you. They are off limits."

"Oden, I would show you my other daughter but she's not here at the moment. She's the hardest to watch over, I'll need you to distract her from Serena and I... She's not very pleased with the men Serena is courting," she explains further to me and I nod.

Where are you, Arabella Houstings?

~ Arabella's pov ~

"Good day, Lady Agatha," I bid goodbye to her as we are walking back from teaching the younger kids. She needed help since she was the only person teaching the kids, and I was the only one who volunteered to do it for free.

"Thank you for your help, Arabella. You are such a dear," Lady Agatha tells me, sending a wave.

I enter my home after a long day, sighing when I'm met with two men in the living room and my mother who turns around looking as if she's been waiting for my arrival.

"Arabella, come," mother speaks, waving me over. I clutch my books to my chest, feeling anxious about meeting new people. "These two men are here to help you girls. They will be assisting in your protection and needs. The one on the left is Bridger who is helping Serena and the other is Oden who will be helping you."

I take a look at each of the men and my eyes latch onto Oden's who is already gazing upon my soul. He was surely a charmer, one of the most beautiful men I've come across, he's very tall and his curls fall against his eyes.

I could see his green eyes from a mile away. They were absolutely breathtaking, I've never seen such beauty.

"I don't need a servant, Mother. That is wrong of you to ask that of these men," I tell my mother, ripping my eyes from Oden who is still watching me.

My father is sitting on the couch, eyeing a newspaper and I was really hoping he was looking so I could beg him to take up for my honor.

"You should be thankful, the other ladies don't get such luck with help," Mother says, glaring at me.

"I do not need any help, she's insane," I tell the boys who gave each other a look, and Bridger hides a smile.

Mother gasps. "Do not say such of me. How dare you?"

"I don't need a man following me around to please me," I exclaim. I then give Oden a look. "Sorry."

"You are and that is final. This will be good for you," she replies.

"I'm going to bid everyone goodnight and head for bed, I shall not speak with you right now," I say.

"Just go to your room." Mother points upstairs for my room.

"Gladly." I spin on my heel, gathering my books and heading upstairs with eyes on my back. I slam my door shut, huffing out an angry breath, wanting to say such scandalous words to her.

How dare she think I need a man following me around like a puppy? No matter how charming he was, I could bear such nonsense. He was a person, not a servant.

This won't do.