13

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

The village was buzzing with people this evening. Smiles were across their faces as I passed by them, sending them soft smiles that I'd wish would reach my ears.

Though, I couldn't- not when a certain gentleman named Oden was walking far off behind me seeking an ounce of my attention. After that night that twined us together, I ran upstairs and paced in my room all night. Regret filled within me, but the other half of my body wanted more. Craved More. Just more.

I was beginning to get concerned about myself at the whiplash I felt. Both sides of my body felt like tugging on each side, trying to cave in whatever they decided.

Saving myself from embarrassment or rejection, I simply avoided Oden at all costs, only nodding to him necessary or the occasional hellos.

He looks at me differently. I have no clue if it's good or bad. Only time could tell if our friendship has come to an end.

As I enter the fabric shop, it's quiet when entering. but I can hear Oden's footsteps approaching from behind. My fingers trace over the fabric for dresses lightly, trying to pick out which color suits me best.

"I'd say the yellow would look magnificent on you." I hear a light whisper ring in my ear. It's him. Oden. Speaking into my ear just like he did that night when kissing me.

I turn to face him, needing to see his face. He stands near with his hands behind his back, growing a bit of a smirk and sending it my way. He was so handsome.

"But wouldn't a green suit me better?" I tilt my head, my eyes glinting with tease.

"Any color would look fine on you. You can pull off anything, Bella." Bella. My nickname. How dare he make me feel this way for him?

I turn my back on him, feeling my chest heave from being breathless all of a sudden.

"You're distressed." There he goes again with that voice of his.

"I am fine," I assure.

"We must speak," he says, catching my attention. I turn around to face him once again and he's now holding a serious posture. "I can't help but feel like I've done something... Something wrong to make you want to avoid me."

"I-" I got to speak but I'm caught up in a stuttering mess.

"Was it the kiss?" He questions. I look around, making sure no one has heard of him speaking this way. "Our kiss we shared? Has it made you feel like you have to avoid me now? Did you not want it?"

"No, that is not it at all." I shake my head, closing my eyes.

"Then what is it?" His eyes hold pain. One that I've caused.

"I feel regret for wanting that kiss to happen," I whisper.

"Why should you feel that way when you want something? Aren't you a lady fighting for people who want things? Need things?" His voice is so soft. He's not hurt by me, he's simply afraid of rejection.

"Because we are friends, Oden. I would never do anything to jeopardize our friendship. It's the only thing I hold dear."

He stays quiet. Just staring. And then he does something I don't expect him to do. He nods, understanding me. Me.