17

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

Three knocks on my sister's door was all it took for her for me to enter. She's present in front of her vanity, applying makeup on her face. She looks at me through the mirror, she's shocked to see me walk in.

"Arabella, what a surprise it is..." She states, twirling in her seat, facing me. "Here to congratulate me on my engagement?"

"No," I say. I gave her a smile, hoping she would not scream at me. I take a seat on her bed, fisting my dress. "Are you happy?"

Of course, she was. She was thrilled that she thought she had the man of her dreams when in reality, he was just using her. She didn't truly love him, but she still had time to figure out what she wanted.

Before it was too late.

She sighs, smiling at the diamond ring on her finger. "Of course, I am."

"You don't think it isn't too fast?"

She scoffs, taking a stand. "I knew you were going to bicker with me-"

"I am not bickering with you," I interrupt, shaking my head.

"You are," she retorts. "You are never happy with the men I've chosen."

"Because look at them." I laugh.

"You have been like this my whole life, why can't you just be happy for me?" She exclaims.

"I will be happy when you decide that this is not the man you wish to be with, you love the idea of him, not Sir Kingsley himself."

I'd hope mother hasn't heard us bickering, nor father, they would definitely come in and break us apart. We needed this conversation, perhaps this could change her mind?

"Why can't we be like other sisters? They never bicker the way we do." She pouts.

"Because they do not care like I do with you. I do not wish to see you regret this decision in the near future-"

"I won't!" She screams, throwing her hands around like a mad woman. "I love Sir Kingsley and he loves me as well. You are so jealous of everything that I do, just accept it. I am your older sister, and leave it like that."

We both are silent. Nothing in the air but tension. Harsh, agony, breathless tension that will not recover unless one of us breaks. Hearts were clashing in between this silence and it wasn't hers. It was mine.

She huffs, straightening her dress. "Now, go do whatever it is you do and do not bother me any longer. I have shopping to do for my engagement party tomorrow evening."

"Serena..." I go to grab ahold of her when she passes by me, but she moves, glaring at me.

"Do not," she starts. "Leave, please." Her eyes are held with fear, but also with a hint of sadness. If she wants me to leave her be, then I shall leave her alone.

Let her marry Sir Kingsley, have his children, and I will stand on the sidelines crying for her.

Fine.

Leaving her room, I could not escape my zooming thoughts. Wondering where Oden was, I enter the dressing room and find myself creating a new design for tomorrow.