9

THE KING
~ Jaxson's pov ~

"I've never met a man such as you," Arabella says as we begin our journey to the shops down in the village. I have my hands behind my body, crossed, making sure no harm comes to her.

I eye her, and her cheeks turn crimson red. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"You're kind, not a lot of men are. I have this feeling when I'm with you..." She explains.

"A good feeling I would hope."

She nods, smiling. "Of course. I feel safe with you, your kindness brings such relief in this dark world."

"That's all I want, all I want is for you to feel like you can tell me anything and feel safe doing so. I'm your friend, aren't I?"

"I wouldn't know what a friend is like. I suppose this is what it is like." She smiles sadly. With the shake of her head, she begins again. "I don't have friends. They all like different things than I. They all look at me with such pity when they see me talking back or standing up for myself."

"The world hates your smile, Bella. They do not like to see such strength as you." As we are walking, I can sense she's staring- in shock from what I had spoken. We pass a flower shop, I grip upon a bouquet of red roses and hand a few coins to the lady.

I pass the flowers to Arabella, seeking her eyes. "For you."

"Bella..." She repeats, smiling down at the flowers in her hand. "I don't think anyone has ever called me that, thank you."

"Well, I'm honored to be the first." I give her a soft smile.

Since I've been down in the village for a while, I never once had to stress over anything, nor about my mother, it was a simple but yet hard life down here, and I was lucky that I was born into a family that gave me everything I ever wanted and needed.

I just now realized we had stopped walking and were still planted in front of the flower shop. Arabella gave her gaze locked on me whilst I was drowning in my own thoughts.

I could hear horses coming from beside us, and guards yelling out to people. Swiftly looking ahead, I catch a few guards asking a few villagers and I'm guessing the questions are about a certain missing king.

My mother has had the street of Lockwood armed with guards, searching for me. For answers.

I make haste. I knew sooner or later they would recognize their king and seize me back to the palace. Taking Arabella's hand, I quickly try to find a place to hide when seeing them continue down the path towards us on the road.

Great.

An alley was all I could find that could fit the both of us. It was dark and the guards would never suspect their king to follow it.

It was a tight fit when pulling my body in, but I managed to do so, and found some space for Arabella in front of me. Her face is full of questions, but doesn't say a word to me.

Her chest was pressed against mine in this tight space. Her breathing has hitched when she meets my gaze, and our breaths become one, tangling with each other.

The guard's horses are following behind us, passing the alley as they demand orders from the other villagers.

Arabella now speaks her mind. "Are you in trouble?"

"They may or may not be looking for me," I exclaim, telling her the truth but not the whole truth.

She huffs out a laugh, rolling her eyes. "Do not tell me you're a convict." Sarcasm was written in that voice of hers, and a smirk is present upon her lips.

"It's whatever you prefer," I say.

The guards have passed now, but all I can think about is how close we are to each other. She was small compared to me, the way her dress is a tight fit on her, causing her breasts to pop out at the top.

I would thank Ugene later when I arrived back at the palace.

"Your secret is safe with me," she teases, whispering.

Something about the way her lips sink into her bottom lip when teasing me has my body craving to feel them, but I know it's not the best idea.

I could feel myself growing hot by the moment passing and I had to escape from this alley and leave the lady.

"They're gone now," she then whispers, popping her head out of the corner. She looks back up at me, seeking my eyes, they look down at my lips in a quick motion, and I have to stop myself from touching of her skin.

"Ladies first." I motion with my hand for her to make a move, but she doesn't. She stays put, breathing heavily against the brick wall behind her.

I'm fighting to look down, to scope out her breasts, but I was trying to be a gentleman, and she was making that very hard for me.

"Is that why you're traveling? Because they'll find you?" She further questions about why we're hiding. I knew she was thinking of something in that mind of hers.

"Yes."

She nods her head, leaving the alley and leaving a man like me behind to soak in the glory of her presence that once was there.

I could still smell her scent. A flowery scent fumes my nostrils as she walks away and back into the village. I lean my head back against the brick, hoping and wishing we had a little more time.

It would be best if we didn't though. I don't think I could resist the temptation any longer.

We make it back home with such ease, and Arabella still has the flowers I purchased for her in her small grip. Serena looks up from her book, seated in the living room.

She then stares at the flowers in Arabella's hand. She raises a brow at her sister. "Are those for you?"

"Of course, they are. A friend gave them to me." Arabella meets my eyes which were glinting with a bit of tease.

Serena stares between the two of us, sensing something. "And who is this friend? A man perhaps?"

"Yes."

"Mother, Arabella has received flowers from a man," Serena yells through the home and footsteps are heard approaching.

"Who was it?" Mrs. Houstings gasps out, asking.

Arabella sends a quick look, biting back a smile. "A convict."

Mr. Houstings now gets involved, standing from the couch and proceeds to look at his daughter with concern. "Arabella, why would you take that from him? It could be poisonous."

"It is not, father." She giggles and it makes me want to spend my life making her happy. Forever.

"How can you say that? Did you tell the guards?"

"No, he is a friend." She now smiles, not holding anything back and I bite my lip from laughing out at such nonsense.