CHAPTER 3 - ONE THING

"Now I'm climbing the walls, but you don't notice at all. I'm going out of my mind all day and all night."

CHAPTER 3 - ONE THING

I can't believe this is happening! It's so unfair!

Was it too much for me to wish for such a fresh start?

A new life? A normal life? Away from... him!

Was that too much to ask?

Out of all the universities in this freakin' universe, why here? Why study at the same university as mine? I thought I'd never see him again. But now, I'm faced with the prospect of running into him every day!

Oh, god, why?

What did I do to deserve this punishment?

I've always been a well-behaved daughter. I'm an excellent student. A good person. I've been good all the time! I didn't understand why this was happening to me. I felt like I deserved better. I thought I had done everything right. I just didn't understand why life was so cruel.

What did I do to have such bad luck?

Maybe I had too much good luck in my previous life and now this is my karmic payback?

Arg!

"That's probably your tenth groan since we returned here in the dorm, Emma. You kept mumbling incoherent words since the concert. You're worrying me here, you know?"

I was lying in bed, looking down and helpless as ever. I was staring at the ceiling, wondering why this was happening to me, when Bonnie called my attention.

This is college. I'm supposed to have fun. Having the time of my life! Not looking as gloomy as ever.

I turned to look at her. Her left brow was raised as she looked at me from her bed. I didn't mean it but I found myself groaning instead of answering her question.

Bonnie stood up and walked towards me. She sat on my bed. "Okay, Missy. You've got to tell me what's wrong. If I hear another groan from you, I'm determined to pull those words out of your mouth. So, I suggest you start talking!" Bonnie warned with a mischievous grin.

I bit my lip and frowned. I wasn't sure if I should tell her my story. It was kind of personal, and a bit embarrassing. We haven't established that kind of friendship yet for me to disclose that information. I decided to keep my story to myself for now. I'll wait until I'm more comfortable with her before I open up about it.

Besides, he was part of her favorite band. I don't know how she will react to that.

"Oh my god!" Bonnie shrieked.

Let's just say she screamed louder than the concert speakers and her sudden outburst made me worry. "What? Why? What happened?" I asked in a rush, my eyes wide.

"You've got the fever!" She said with a wide grin.

"Fever?" I asked. I didn't feel feverish. I touched my forehead for assurance, and sure enough, my temperature was normal.

"Yeah. You're getting flustered. You're sighing because you're in love with one of them!"

I almost choked. I tried to deny it, to say something witty. I wanted to tell her I wasn't sighing because I was in love. Instead, I was sighing because I was overwhelmed by the fact that the guy who broke my heart was here, even part of her favorite band! But I couldn't seem to find the words to explain myself, or even the chance.

Bonnie was too fast!

"So, who is it? Is it Jimmi? The way he rocked that guitar solo a while ago was just mind blowing. How about Zane? The way he hits those high notes is so awesome. Or is it Jin?"

Her tone suddenly changed when she said Jin's name, and surprisingly there was a pause, like she was gauging me or something. I was about to deny it, but Bonnie's mouth was moving like lightning again, preventing me from uttering a single word, or even an alphabet!

"Is it Jin? The way he makes your heart thump with every pluck of his bass. No? Harry then? I know, his voice could melt your heart! Oh don't get me started on Louis--he could make your knees weak even just by beating the drums!"

Then there was a pause, as if realization had hit her. "Oh my God! I saw your eyes twitch!" Bonnie shrieked in excitement.

"You saw me wh---"

"You twitched. Twitching is a definite sign you're busted! So it's either Harry or Louis! Honestly, I'm not sure when that happened! Screw me and my fast-talking skills! But I'm pretty sure it's either Harry or Louis!"

Oh, no.

Bonnie was sharp. Sure she talks a lot but she's really attentive and observant.

"Bonnie, what are you talking about?" I tried to calm myself down, but deep inside, my heart beat so fast it could explode any minute now! I wasn't skilled at lying, let alone pretending! I sucked in that department.

Bonnie hit my arm in a playful manner before she let out a loud laugh. "Don't be shy, Emma. You're not the only one who has experienced that. Basically, they capture everyone's heart after they perform. Who wouldn't, right? I mean they're---"

I lost Bonnie to her lalala land as she entered her daydream mode. I was wondering if what she said about getting the fever applied to her as well. I mean, did one of the guys manage to capture her heart?

I only have one guy in mind.

Probably Jin.

She was different when she was talking about him. Oh god, she's in love with Jin?

Bonnie still kept talking, but I couldn't understand what she was talking about.

Oh Bonnie, if only you knew.

Love is not the right word to describe my situation right now. It is far from that.

I resumed my staring contest with the ceiling as Bonnie continued gushing over the guys. Well, I wouldn't be bitter about the fact that they were really good.

And I admit that I found myself staring at him the whole time.

His face, his build. The way he laughs, the way he smiles, the way he bites his lips.

I sighed, feeling my heart flutter as I recalled the way his eyes sparkled with excitement. He seems to be enjoying what he's doing.

I tried to shake off the idea of him, but it seemed to linger in the back of my mind.

We don't want our hearts broken again, do we? I reminded myself.

College, huh? Too much for wishing for a normal life. So how's it gonna be?

I wonder if he still remembers me.

-END OF CHAPTER 3-