CHAPTER 4.5 - GOTTA BE YOU

"Girl I see it in your eyes you're disappointed, 'Cause I'm the foolish one that you anointed with your heart, I tore it apart. And girl what a mess I made upon your innocence, and no woman in the world deserves this. But here I am asking you for one more chance."

CHAPTER 4.5 - GOTTA BE YOU

Gathering all my courage, I finally spoke. "Long time no see, Tommo." I said derisively.

This was a fact I hated to admit.

He still makes my heart race.

Probably because it has been a long time since we have seen each other. Perhaps it is nerves that are causing it. Whatever the reason, I can feel my heart pounding when I look at him.

I wasn't prepared for this kind of meeting. I kind of wished that I wouldn't see him for the rest of my college days, but I knew that would be very impossible!

To be honest, I didn't know how to handle this situation. I tried to stay calm and collected. I could feel my heart racing and my palms getting sweaty. But despite this, I had to put on a brave face and maintain my composure, no matter how uncomfortable the situation was.

His hand was extended to help me stand up, but I refused to accept it. It's not that I was injured or anything. I wanted to be able to stand up on my own and show him I could handle myself. Also, to prove that I didn't need anyone else to help me, especially him.

So, I pushed myself up and stood straight, with my head held high. I could see from my peripheral vision that his eyes were trained on me.

There was a look of pure amusement on his face as he watched me.

I felt like a circus act, with the spotlight on me and an audience of one.

Oh, what now?

I raised my head high to face him. I stared him in the eye with confidence and strength.

"So, you're talking to me now, huh?" I said with scorn.

He stepped back, taken aback by my boldness. His once smug face turned confused. I took advantage of his silence, I squared my shoulders and raised my voice.

"After what you did to me?" You ignored me for months and gave me the cold shoulder, and now you're talking to me again? Did you even ask me if I wanted to talk to you? Wow, Thompson. You've got some thick skulls, huh? I don't think I can forgive you for what you did. I don't want to talk to you ever again."

I didn't want to hear his excuses, I just wanted him to understand that what he did was wrong. I turned around and walked away, not looking back. With a triumphant grin plastered on my face, I left him with his mouth wide open in shock.

My inner self practically gave me a high five for having the last words.

Job well done, Emma.

This was what I hoped would happen. More like, that's what the eighteen-year-old me wanted to say to him when he began to distance himself from me after that unfortunate event. But I never had the chance. I could only watch helplessly and frustratingly as he slowly but surely moved away.

But the past is past.

I grew up.

I let it go.

I decided to move forward and put everything behind me the moment he graduated and left. I didn't want to keep dwelling on the past or the pain he had caused me. I wanted to start fresh and focus on positive things.

Besides, this is college. I promised myself a clean slate. Although him being here was not in the plan, I still wouldn't let him ruin this for me.

So, instead of expressing my full-blown anger and starting a conversation filled with sarcasm, I simply wore my happiest smile and pretended to be speaking to a leprechaun. This was quite funny, so smiling wouldn't be a problem now, would it? After all, it's not every day that you get to have a conversation with a mythical creature.