Chapter Nine - The Test

I slowly walked out of the small dark tunnel into the arena as winced covering my face. My eyes slowly adjusted to the bright light outside as I took a deep breath, enjoying the feeling of the fresh clean air filling up my lungs.

I flinched as I heard an enormous uproar from the mounds of vampires gathered around me in the stands, as if my life was just a game for them to witness. I had finally become the one thing I dreaded more than anything, I am now what every human is to those monsters, an insignificant pawn to play with when they get bored.

I was now only a form of entertainment for them to enjoy, they had succeeded in stripping any bit of dignity I had left from me, I had become their circus show.

Re-adjusting my mask over my face I walked forwards confidently, curiously looking around me as I evaluated the scene surrounding me.

"Welcome all!" I heard the lead council member boom as I turned to face him. As I turned, I narrowed my eyes, seeing them all sat comfortably in their large box, Brand, Hyde and Evelyn seated in the middle as they stared me down.

"We have just finished adjusted these trials for Miss Silverback, and now we will see if she is as good as she says she is. Failure to complete this task means she will die." I heard the council leader boom as I rolled my eyes and folded my arms watching them, hatred pouring out my body.

"So I welcome you to the course young child" he said, a slight bite in his words as he motioned to the floor beneath me. My eyes widened as it opened and rose in front of me, revealing an intricate layout filled with traps for me to cross.

I took a deep breath as I adjusted my bow on my back and suddenly the floor underneath me was lifted as I lurched forward, regaining my balance as I saw what appeared to be Hyde lifting it, conveniently standing right in front of Brand so I couldn't see him,

I narrowed my eyes, trying to look around him as I tried to see even a glimpse of Brand, who continued to stay hidden. I frowned as I tilted my head, analysing Hyde's movements in detail, it's highly unlikely a vampire of Hyde's status had this type of power I thought as the platform lurched suddenly again and I quickly pushed my observation to the back of my mind as I rebalanced myself and turned my attention back to the course.

I needed to concentrate my energy on this instead right now, I could worry about whose power was who's later.

"Miss Silverback, all you need to do is to get to the other side of the bridge. Get there alive and you will have passed the test" the member said as a hush fell over the crowd and I braced myself, my eyes scanning furiously over the contraptions in front of me. I stood there for a while, quietly waiting as the machinery in front of me suddenly started moving,

Shit I thought, clearly this wasn't going to be an easy task I sighed as I quickly wiped my sweaty palms on my legs, my fingers shaking lightly.

I had to do this, I had to finish this for Bethany. This was no time to get lazy, I needed to push myself to the limit, although it may have been prudent to ask for some food or water before considering the toll of the past day's activities were still rushing through my body.

I shook my head as I pushed the thoughts away and my eyes narrowed as I pulled my hood off my head and tightened the mask, I flicked my plait back as I gave one last glare up to Brand, who was sat forwards his arms resting on his knees, almost as if he was nervous.

I grinned under my mask as I narrowed my eyes, setting one leg behind me as I tensed, preparing myself for the test of my life. As I did a felt a familiar feeling wash through me and I gritted my teeth shaking my head, get it together Lillian, this is no time for a walk down memory lane, I shouted at myself internally, but even as I pushed it away, it felt as if the chill wind which belonged to the mountains I once called home had rushed down my spine.