Jake

As everyone is buzzing about the win and deciding where to celebrate, Coach Ryan gives a manly but heartwarming speech and congratulated us. But just as I'm getting ready after coming out of the shower, he calls me into his office. The lads tease, "Oooo, what'd you do?" I snap back, "Shut up!" My heart sinks and I gulp nervously. Coach tells me to sit down and drops the bombshell, "Your grades are slipping, Jake. You got a D in English lit. No playing' in the next match unless you get a B or even a C."

I let out my frustration, "But Coach, I've been bustin' my butt on the Ice. Can't believe my grades are messing things up."

Coach understands, but reminds me that education matters too. Gotta excel both on and off the Ice. He mentions the makeup test coming up.

"Yeah, I got that. I'll study like crazy and aim for an A or B. Can't let my team down," I say determinedly.

Coach encourages me, says he believes in me, and that I gotta find that balance. This setback will motivate me to push harder academically.

"Thanks, Coach. Won't let you down. Gonna show everyone I can rock it on the Ice and in the classroom."

I shake Coach's hand and head back into the changing rooms to get dressed. Gonna join the guys and have a blast celebrating our win!

As I change into my own clothes, Alex, one of my best friends, asks what Coach wanted. I trust him, so I tell him the truth. But when the lads ask, I create a lie about something with my dad to throw them off. I don't want them to worry about next season.

While everyone reunites with their girls, I can't help but feel a bit empty. Usually, I'd be with my ex, Ari, during these celebrations. But after what she did to me during one of the hardest times, I can never forgive her. Still, sometimes I miss the company.