Jake

Practice had gone well, and my coach's pleased expression was like a badge of honor as he confirmed I could play in the next match. A rush of excitement filled me, and as we moved on to puck passing drills, I turned to Alex.

"We need to find Sophia's book," I said, my determination driving the words. "It's the least I can do after she helped me ace that test."

Alex arched an eyebrow, a mischievous smirk playing on his lips. "You sure it's just about the book?"

I let out a sheepish laugh, feeling caught. "Yeah, yeah," I responded, but my attempt to dismiss his comment only revealed the truth beneath.

Taking a deep breath, I leaned in closer and admitted, "Actually, promise you won't spill this, but... I think I've developed feelings for her. Sophia, I mean. She's... different. She brings out the best in me, you know? Even though we've only met recently, there's something about her that makes me feel truly understood. No other girl has had that effect on me, especially not Ari."

Alex's reassuring hand landed on my shoulder, and his grin was all understanding. "Mate, you're safe with me. Friends got each other's backs. And honestly, I've been shipping you two since day one."

I couldn't help but chuckle, feeling a mixture of relief and gratitude. "Thanks, Alex. And about Sophia... you and Ella have been playing matchmaker, huh?"

Alex's laugh was infectious as he nodded. "Yeah, guilty as charged. We thought you two would hit it off. Best of luck, mate."

As we continued with our drills, a newfound sense of hope filled me, knowing that not only did I have a friend who would keep my secret, but also someone who believed in the potential connection between Sophia and me.

After practice, I bid farewell to the guys as they headed off. As Alex and I changed, I felt a sense of urgency bubbling within me. I turned to Alex, who was still there, and hesitated for a moment before speaking.

"Listen, Alex," I began, my voice tinged with a mixture of apprehension and determination, "before I tell Sophia how I feel, I need to sort things out with Ari. It's become pretty clear she's not taking the breakup well since she cheated on me. She's been trying to get close to me again, sending flirtatious messages and even showing up at our apartment."

Alex nodded in understanding, his expression serious. "You're doing the right thing, mate. It's important to handle that situation before moving forward."

I let out a tense breath, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders at Alex's support. "Thanks, man. After I talk to Ari, I'll head over to her dorm to sort things out. Then I'll catch up with you, Ella, and Sophia."

Alex patted my shoulder reassuringly. "Sounds like a plan. Take your time, and we'll be here."

With a nod, I finished changing and left the locker room, determined to have that difficult conversation with Ari before I could focus on pursuing a potential connection with Sophia.

Heading to Ari's dorm, I knocked on the door, my heart pounding with a mix of emotions. When there was no answer, I tried again, growing concerned. With nobody in sight, I decided to let myself in, driven by the lingering care I felt for her, even though we were no longer together. My eyes took in the room, now adorned with pink lights and selfies, including some cringe-worthy ones of us together (definitely a chapter I wanted to close).

I settled down, waiting for her to return, my gaze wandering to a stack of papers on her desk. Curiosity getting the better of me, I reached out and uncovered something unexpected – Sophia's notebook. Confusion mingled with shock as I saw a few pages missing. What on earth was Sophia's songbook doing here? And why were pages missing?

My concentration was broken by the sudden burst of the door swinging open, revealing Ari. Startled, she demanded, "What are you doing in here?" Her gaze landed on me, holding the notebook, and a sense of guilt flashed across her expression.

"Why do you have Sophia's songbook?" I questioned, my voice sharper than I intended.

Ari's hair-twirling and downward glances were telltale signs of her fibbing. She stammered, claiming she found it near the coffee zone and planned to return it. I knew she was lying, and my anger surged.

"Cut the crap, Ari," I retorted, my frustration boiling over. "Why resort to this? Sophia is one of the kindest, most incredible people I've ever met. You need to apologise to her, and you're coming with me to do it."

Ari hesitated, her eyes betraying her inner struggle. Finally, she relented, agreeing to come with me. But then she dropped another bomb – it wasn't just her; Tiffany was involved too. My fury grew, the sense of betrayal cutting deep.

As we left her dorm, my mind raced with a mix of anger, confusion, and disappointment. How could people I thought I knew well be capable of such deceit? It was a difficult realization to grapple with, and I was determined to set things right for Sophia, no matter how complicated it had become.