Chapter 31

When Asteria and I wake the following morning, we adopt the same routine as in Esterpool. I dress her as normal and brush her hair, doing my best to keep up light conversation as if nothing has changed. I can sense her nervousness in the way she bites her bottom lip and twirls the ends of her hair more than normal. I would be lying if I said my own stomach wasn't churning in the same nervousness. I press a kiss into Asteria's hair as she sits in front of the mirror, examining her outfit for the day.

"You will be okay," I murmur.

Her warm hand grasps my own and squeezes it tightly.

We part briefly to eat our morning meals. Unlike in Esterpool, I am not special enough to be invited to dine with the royal family. Rather, I take my meals in the maids' quarters with the other servants. The food is a step above what I was normally served in Esterpool before becoming head maid, but already I miss my mealtimes with Asteria tremendously.

A few other maids sit beside me and begin to ask questions about the princess and Esterpool. I answer as politefully and truthfully as I can. Their warm and smiling faces are in stark contrast to the cruel maids who beat me in Esterpool. It makes me almost envy Kiana, who has been enjoying the pleasures of Magewell for months now, but then I remember how wildly different my life would be if I had not become close to Asteria.

"Fe," Felicity says, interrupting my morning meal.

I glance up from my half-eaten plate, thrilled that her presence has at least quieted the maids around me.

"The princess has requested your presence at her royal meeting this morning. I can escort you, since I know you are not as familiar with the castle," Felicity offers.

"That would be wonderful. Thank you," I say. I leave my remaining breakfast behind and follow her nervously through the castle corridors.

"How did you sleep last night?" Felicity asks.

"Well," I respond.

"I suppose the princess's couch must still be a luxury," Felicity says, and I wince, forgetting for a moment that that is where everyone believes I am sleeping. "If you need to stay a night in the maids' quarters, do not hesitate to let me know. I am sure the princess can be without your company for one evening if necessary."

"Thank you," I say. "That is very kind."

We navigate down some additional hallways until I spot Asteria in the distance. Her gaze is turned from me, and I see by her furrowed brow and raised voice that she is in some sort of verbal argument. As we approach closer, I realize that King Ruben and Prince Stephan stand in the doorway. I gulp and briefly glance behind me, wondering if turning back is still an option, but I promised Asteria I would support her during this week.

Felicity's footsteps slow as we approach. She touches my shoulder and whispers, "I shall be taking off, then."

I nod, certain I am the only one insane enough to interrupt the royal family's argument.

Asteria turns her head suddenly. "See, she is here!" Asteria says, gesturing to me.

I curtsy toward the royal family. "Yes, I am. Is something the matter?"

"Maids are not typically allowed into the royal meetings," King Ruben says, his gaze fixated on me.

"I will not enter the meeting without her!" Asteria argues.

Meanwhile, Stephan leans against the wall, snickering to himself as the scene between Asteria and her father play out. I stand there uneasily, trying to get a word in, but ultimately failing as their argument continues back and forth. Finally, Stephan steps forward.