Phase 03 - Japanese People in the British Empire

The British rule of Japan led to various changes and movements within Japan itself. Although it was relatively peaceful compared to global standards, it was natural for Japan to become a de facto colony called a "protectorate" from an independent nation.

Furthermore, unlike places like Ireland, Japan was a colony of people of color, which meant that racial discrimination was a significant barrier reflected in British governance. In the world of that time, which was predominantly white, it was considered a matter of course, an inevitable result, to the point where the word "obvious" was unnecessary.

. . .

During the period surrounding British annexation, the Japanese archipelago experienced significant economic turmoil and an increase in poverty. This was accompanied by a decrease in the domestic food supply capacity and distribution functions within Japan, leading to frequent small-scale famines and starvation becoming a part of daily life. While the majority of the population saw little change in their outward appearance, it was impossible for chaos to be completely absent. There were also numerous small-scale uprisings and rebellions by samurai and others of the shogunate who had lost their privileges.

In response to this, the British Governorate-General of Japan carried out vigorous repression during times of turmoil, but when it came to policies for the protection of the residents, they implemented only the minimum necessary to prevent further uprisings and disturbances. Much of this was left to Japanese regional lords. After all, nearly 80% of Japanese territory fell under the governance responsibility of local lords. All Britain had to do was issue orders from the top.

On the other hand, due to economic downturns, food shortages, and unemployment among former shogunate samurai, there was an abundance of potential recruits for the military, which actually annoyed the British officials in charge of recruiting volunteers. Recruitment of Japanese lower-ranking officials was always full, and the Governorate-General of Japan was able to secure a sufficient number of talented individuals for governance at a low cost.

However, the British had little interest in developing modern industries in Japan. It had become a vital bridgehead in both Asia and the Pacific, but it was also a significant market for British products. There was no intention to have products manufactured in Japan for export to Britain. Only a few factories were built with British capital to produce a limited range of products that could only be manufactured in Japan.

The Japanese industries that were emphasized in Japan's management were primarily copper refining, which had a relatively large output, and large-scale silk production. The cotton textile industry was almost decimated by the influx of cheap British products, similar to what happened in India. Until the widespread use of petroleum, the whaling industry (whale oil) was also important. To prevent Americans from entering deep into the Pacific, the whaling industry received technical assistance and protection to a certain extent. Additionally, various handicrafts that could yield profits as export goods were encouraged when there was no competition from other regions.

Of course, most of the profits went to the British, and the Japanese were mostly exploited, which was only natural given the master-slave relationship.

However, for the British, excessive destabilization in Japan was to be avoided. Even though the Japanese were generally obedient, the potential for regional-scale riots and uprisings caused by large-scale famines was more than enough. In fact, small-scale famines and internal unrest occurred with some frequency. To maintain purchasing power, it was also necessary to avoid lowering incomes more than necessary.

Therefore, the British allowed labor migration through their networks to prevent excessive famines and starvation in Japan's governance. They permitted the Japanese to abandon their compatriots just like in Ireland.