Notes 03 - Each Country and Its Current Status in the Early 21st Century

Colonialism in Southeast Asia

Due to the absence of a nation to enlighten Asia, with Japan not yet established as a modern state and China constantly engulfed in internal conflicts and subject to Western interference, independence in various regions lagged behind. It wasn't until Japan and India gained independence during World War II that movements towards enlightenment and independence finally began. Furthermore, India, in collaboration with Japan, mutually enlightened each other and paved the way towards independence. However, the independence of Burma, considered a separate region from India, was significantly delayed.

Apart from the Philippines, which gained independence in 1944 under the American administration, most other Southeast Asian countries began their journey toward independence in the 1960s. The timing of their independence closely aligned with that of African countries.

Vietnam witnessed a period of increasing nationalism under communist leadership but was defeated in the war against France, leading to the near obliteration of the communists. Subsequently, through compromises with the French, Vietnam achieved independence as a Western-aligned nation in 1958. In tandem, the kingdoms of Laos and Cambodia within the Indochina Federation also attained independence.

Indonesia, which gained independence later than others, experienced a period of rising communist influence, resulting in a significant internal conflict.

Thailand, which successfully defended its independence, and Malaysia and Singapore, both part of the British Commonwealth, strengthened their cooperation with countries like Japan.

On the other hand, in the British Commonwealth regions of Singapore, Hong Kong, and Malaysia, Japanese immigration increased around the turn of the 20th century. In the early 21st century, though a minority in Hong Kong, nearly half a million people of Japanese descent resided in Singapore, and Malaysia had close to a million Japanese residents.

. . .

It's worth noting that due to the delayed enlightenment in Asia, the independence of African nations may have been delayed by approximately 3-5 years as well, suggesting that the historical timeline of independence in the 1950s may be less than what is commonly known.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Changes in other countries

United States

Japanese immigration to the West Coast of the United States began during the era of Japan's Edo shogunate. Over the half-century following the late 18th century's opening policies, Japanese overseas migration started. Among these migrants, attention was drawn to the North American west coast, accessible via the great circle route. Between 1840 and the 1850s, more than 100.000 Japanese immigrants arrived, and Japanese migration from Japan under British rule continued until immigration restrictions were imposed. In the 1950s, when immigration was once again allowed, Japanese people started flowing into the United States.

As a result, the Japanese population on the American west coast, especially in areas where rice cultivation was feasible, like northern California, saw significant growth. For a long time, Japanese immigrants outnumbered white immigrants in terms of numbers, and they continue to be the majority on the West Coast to this day. Even in the 21st century, rice cultivation remains prevalent in the northern California plains.

The total number of Japanese Americans in the United States reached approximately 15 million around 1980, making it one of the largest communities of Japanese descent outside of Japan. About 10 million of them reside on the West Coast.

However, outside of certain parts of the West Coast, Japanese Americans endured lower-tier labor roles for a long time. Nonetheless, their dedication to fulfilling the role of "Americans" gradually gained recognition, leading to an improvement in their status, especially after World War II. Furthermore, racial discrimination significantly eased in American society from the 1960s onwards, and many Japanese Americans, who were enthusiastic about education, started to gain social status. In the early 21st century, many Japanese Americans are considered part of the affluent racial strata.