Phase 05 - World War II and Japan

In September 1939, the Second World War broke out.

The Second World War, like the previous one, was primarily a conflict centered in Europe, and it was fundamentally caused by disputes among white nations. Colonial and non-white elements were, at least in terms of priority, of much lesser significance. Even if they existed, they were merely factors related to determining who controlled which regions.

For Japan, which was a British protectorate, the distinction between totalitarianism and ethnic self-determination, often described as a battle between totalitarianism and liberalism, was not well understood by most Japanese. In fact, the idea of wealthy Europeans fighting against each other was something that the Japanese could hardly comprehend. When the Japanese heard about the outbreak of World War II, they thought that perhaps the white people living in Europe were actually a gathering of incredibly foolish individuals.

However, the parties involved in the war took a second all-out war seriously. Naturally, Japan also found itself entangled in the complications of WWII.

. . .

During this war, the United Kingdom, as it did in the previous World War, called upon all its Commonwealth nations, dominions, autonomous regions, protectorates, and colonies to cooperate in the war effort. Japan was no exception and was actively utilized in this endeavor.

The British government instructed the Japanese autonomous government to organize a large volunteer force. Naturally, this required significant financial contributions, the provision of war materials, and a transition to a wartime economy. It was stipulated that Japan would be granted complete independence only if it was deemed to have made sufficient contributions.

In other words, for Japan, WWII can be described as a war for independence in a different form.

The Japanese parliament, having obtained the demand for full independence as an official document, called upon all Japanese people to become British volunteers once again in order to achieve Japanese independence.

Hamaguchi Osachi, who was the chairman of the Japanese parliament (established 1933) at the time, bowed down to the emergency convened Upper House parliament and requested that all Japanese people become British soldiers for the sake of "Japanese independence."

Thus, in Japan, full-scale cooperation with the war effort began under the slogan of "Japanese independence."

This cooperation extended beyond the military aspect, involving almost all Japanese people and contributing to the British war economy. Nationalism surged in Japan, and phrases like "Defeat Germany" and "Achieve Independence" became rallying cries among the Japanese.

As a result, approximately 1,8 million Japanese, equivalent to 3% of the total population at the time, volunteered as soldiers, forming an army of volunteers which makes it the second largest volunteer force after the British Indians, which numbered over 2,5 million. Naturally, in terms of per capita ratios by region, Japan significantly outpaced India, astonishing the British authorities who issued the orders. Even more surprising was the fact that many Japanese immigrants scattered around the world under British rule were also supportive and cooperative toward Japan's independence. There was a continuous stream of volunteers from within their own territories, and many even returned to Japan specifically to volunteer.

The Second World War took on the appearance of a "Festival of Independence" for the Japanese. It is said that there was even an atmosphere reminiscent of "To Kamakura" among the surviving samurai.

Japan's contribution to the war effort was so significant that it was said to rival Canada, the largest of the Commonwealth nations, surpassing countries like Australia and South Africa. In terms of population, countries like New Zealand and the nearby V. Far were nowhere near Japan.