Notes 01 - The Japanese Region and Its Current Status in the Early 21st Century

Please note that for the sake of clarity, some of this will be written from the perspective of our world.

- Katsumi Fusō

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Japan After Independence

In terms of the economy and industry, Japan after its independence in 1945 resembles a period around 1900 in OTL. In other words, ITTL Japan is approximately half a century behind the rest of the world. However, unlike the destruction and waste of World War II, it can fast-track about 20 years of progress. The domestic population also reached levels similar to those of the OTL 1920s. Furthermore, Japan retains some elements of modernization from the outset, including a certain number of knowledge elites who have received higher education in the United Kingdom. In fields where industrial technology is lacking, Japan can simply import the necessary technology, so there is not a several-decade lag in this regard. It is only natural to be considered a second-tier nation, but considering Japan has just gained independence from colonial rule, it starts in a very favorable condition. However, the systems and units are based on British standards.

Initially, British influence was strong upon independence, but within the context of the US-Soviet Cold War structure, American military and economic influence rapidly strengthened. After the 1960s when the United Kingdom declined significantly as a global power, Japan fell completely under American influence. Japan's currency also becomes linked to the US dollar instead of the pound sterling.

As a result, Japan's industries and economy developed in close connection with the American economy. Furthermore, after independence, Japan earned foreign currency through war-related demand resulting from frequent wars and conflicts in the Asian neighborhood, in addition to regular economic activities, contributing to the relatively smooth development of its industries.

By the way, in this world, there is no Japanese company named Mitsubishi. The political lineage associated with Satsuma and Chōshū, leading to prominent politicians and noble families, is nearly non-existent. They were defeated, destroyed, or relegated to obscurity by the British.

Satsuma and Chōshū have long been considered backward regions in Japan. Corporations like Konoike, Mitsui, and Sumitomo, which have continued since the Edo period, and a group of companies (ethnic capital) that began to emerge in the 20th century, become central players. In terms of corporate strength and fundamental technological capabilities, Japan is much weaker compared to the West. Furthermore, in terms of noble families, Japan has retained daimyō (Japanese nobility) from the late Edo period, especially regional outsiders, and during British rule, local autonomy advanced primarily in the regions. This led to the strength of regional powers, and in the castle towns of major nobles, there have been pre-modern industrial centers dating back a long time.

. . .

From around the 1970s, Japan began experiencing significant industrial and economic development as a Western production hub influenced by the industrial transformation in the United States. In the 1980s, Japan achieved a substantial increase in income. To promote this development, foreign capital was also introduced extensively. During this time, it came to be known as the "Asian Miracle" or "Japanese Miracle." Of course, in our world, the development of other East Asian countries that followed Japan is also delayed, so there is no significant change in the situation where Japan is the leader in East Asia, albeit at different times.

By deeply intertwining with the American economy, Japan succeeded in outpacing other Asian countries and became a powerhouse among emerging nations. However, it remained an emerging nation and not an advanced one.