Notes 02 - Northeast Asia and Its Current Status in the Early 21st Century

Countries in and around the region

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

North Asia

From the People's Republic of North Asia to the Federal Republic of North Asia, its predecessor was the Later Qing Dynasty, established in 1911. In tandem with the Russian Revolution, it transformed from the Later Qing Dynasty into a socialist People's Republic of North Asia. After the collapse of the Cold War, it changed its name to the Federal Republic of North Asia and transitioned into a liberal democratic nation.

From its inception, North Asia was stable as a puppet state of the Soviet Union. While it initially adopted a communist ideology, it also strongly united against Han nationalism in terms of popular sentiment. If seeking a comparison with OTL, it could be likened to an enormous Mongolian People's Republic.

The ethnicities and languages within the country are diverse, but Chinese-based languages and characters are not used. Cyrillic script was initially used for writing, but after the Cold War's end, various local scripts have been making a resurgence. However, Chinese characters and the Chinese language are highly unpopular as part of state policy. The treatment of the Han ethnic group within the country has consistently been subpar. While non-Han ethnic groups were greatly favored in terms of childbirth and child-rearing policies, the Han ethnic group faced policies aimed at reducing their population. Naturally, there was resistance among the Han ethnic group within the country, and there were often covert and overt interferences from China, but the influence of the Han ethnic group was steadily reduced.

Even after the establishment of the People's Republic of China, tensions with the (ethnic) regions of China have persisted, with both sides constantly pointing their militaries at each other. However, due to disadvantages in terms of population and national strength, they always required extensive support from the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union treated them favorably as a buffer state against the Chinese regions.

With the collapse of the Cold War, it fragmented into various ethnic nations and then federalized. Domestically, it is divided into Manchuria, Mongolia, Buryatia, and East Turkestan.

. . .

During the Cold War, Northeast Asia was a hotspot of tension, and it frequently engaged in wars and conflicts with the Chinese regions due to ethnic differences, resulting in consistently low international esteem. However, it served as a massive bulwark for the Soviet Union, enabling it to maintain a confrontational stance with its neighbors due to strong support and assistance from the Soviet Union. On the other hand, the substantial aid to North Asia also became one of the reasons for straining the Soviet Union's treasury.

After the collapse of the Cold War, a pro-Russia policy has been the cornerstone of foreign relations, primarily due to its anti-Han ethnic stance. Additionally, North Asia places great importance on its relationships with neighboring countries such as Japan, surrounding nations, and Central Asian countries, positioning itself at the forefront of the anti-China containment efforts.

Following the breakdown of the Cold War structure, North Asia has not only maintained its pro-Russia foreign policy but has also worked towards improving relations with the Japanese archipelago and its neighboring countries, as well as reconciling with the United States. Market liberalization was implemented early on, but the Han ethnic capital has continuously faced discrimination.

Considerable military expenditure persisted during and after the Cold War, leading to chronic tension and confrontation with the People's Republic of China to the south.

During the Cold War, North Asia did not possess nuclear weapons due to the strong influence of the Soviet Union (Russia). However, in the 1990s, after the collapse of the Cold War structure, it successfully developed nuclear weapons, leading to a temporary international crisis. While North Asia displayed a willingness to join the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in the early 21st century, it has refused to disarm its nuclear arsenal.