CHAPTER 19

Xavier's POV 

Taking notice of the woman I got married to just yesterday as she steps out of the Mercedes car which brings her to the party, my lips part ways unconsciously at the purity and innocence radiating her flawless milky skin.

Her dress hugs her petite body, giving a clear view of her cleavage and just how sexy she is.

Her hair is down but this time, she isn't trying to defy me by coming to the party with that stupid white hair. The black wig which came off her head the other day is back looking like her real hair.

I am sure she is also not confident about how she looks with that white hair.

She glances around until her eyes meet mine. 

"Boss, are you there?" A voice calls out from the other side, reminding me about the fact that I was on a call before she arrived.

She approaches and I gulp, confusion clouding my mind. The more that I think of this whole thing, the more confused I become about the fact that this isn't Andre.

Andre is hot and sexy but the meekness that comes with Jasmime's beauty is overpowering. The fact that women always want to get my attention and these two look-alike ladies have the least interest in me intrigues me.

I couldn't wait to get married to Andre.

For revenge.

For my ego.

And for the public.

Now, my rash decision has trapped someone else. A lady as innocent as Jasmine. I should have believed her when she told me she had been mistaken. I should have cleared my doubts at that instant but now it is too late and she is my wife.

What I feel right now is what I haven't felt in years.

Guilt.

It's the only thing I feel whenever I remember my parents too.

I don't feel sad or empty anymore. 

Just guilt.

"Boss."

"When are you coming back to New York?" I quickly ask, rolling my eyes because of the moment I was lost in a trance when I should be communicating with Ethan.

"First thing tomorrow morning", he answers sharply and I nod in satisfaction.

The smuggling business in Switzerland is almost ours. Now that I am a married man, I can't be traveling all the time which is why Ethan is helping me with that in Switzerland. 

But I want him back. He was the one who found her. He has been on her trail with Mathew for months and they found her.

I want them to find someone else. I want my doubts cleared totally, then I will know the next line of action.

"Hi", Andre's voice jerks me back to life as she stands in front of me clasping her tiny purse with a light smile on her face.

"I will call you when we are done here", I say into the phone, my eyes not leaving hers.

Before he can respond to that, I disconnect the call. The fact that she asked me if I was in the Mafia last night is another evidence to show that this woman is different from Andre.

Andre and I know each other. She knows what I do and she hated me for that. I know how she can be too. 

I rise from the chair I am sitting on and stretch my arm at her for her to take. Without hesitation, she entangles her right arm with my left as we began to approach the party, the guards trailing behind.

We were supposed to come here together but I stayed out late at the office and I couldn't go back home to pick her up so I asked Mathew to bring her.

The silence between us isn't as awkward as it used to be. I don't know what I am supposed to say to her and I am sure she doesn't know what to say to me either.

We haven't spoken since last night. Even though I know she barely had any sleep last night because she was still scared I was going to force myself on her.

I would never do that. I meant what I said when I told her I don't hurt women. I only said we would sleep together to get her scared and I succeeded.

I barely sleep too. It has been a part and parcel of my life. Sometimes, I don't even sleep at all while other times, I sleep only for two to three hours.

My rough childhood led to this. As an adult, the huge responsibilities of being the leader of the Mafia are overwhelming. 

"I hope I am not late", her soft voice reaches my eyes before our eyes meet. She is smiling again, looking more innocent than ever. 

She is indeed beautiful. If only she hadn't pulled that stunt yesterday at the party, maybe I would have been praised much longer for marrying such a beauty.

I take my eyes off her and halt instantly when my eyes meet with Vicenzo who is some meters away, watching Jasmine and I make an appearance.

I should have known he would be here.

Vicenzo owns Chicago. We are rivals. We only meet on occasions like this.

I want to excuse myself from her so I can have a word with him. We pretend to be good but deep down, I know we are enemies. We don't like each other. I don't carry out any businesses in his territory and he doesn't do the same here in New York.

Over the years, our fathers had been in a lifetime of battle over who ought to be the head over the whole of America. I really do not want to visit that old book of history, it irks me.

We get to the VIP seat and Mathew, who I just noticed drags out a seat for Jasmine and then me. The hall is crowded and noisy and the program is yet to start.

I signal to Mathew and he drops his head to my side. With my eyes lingering on Vicenzo who seems to have lost interest watching me and my new bride, I whisper into Mathew's ears.

Drinks are being served and Jasmine grabs a fruity red wine, sipping on it carefully as she looks around in amazement. I am quiet and alert.

Being married has improved my ego but knowing the fact that I have another person to protect is another responsibility.

Maybe coming here was a bad idea.

"Jas…" I call unconsciously and quickly stop, shutting my eyes. When I open them, I see her eyes growing wide in amazement and her glass of wine stopping halfway.

"Did you just call me…"

"Boss?" Mathew calls, making me heave a deep sigh of relief in appreciation for the interruption.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Before I can swivel my chair around to face him, he comes close and begins to whisper in my ears. I nod my head and wave him away.

"Andre, don't go anywhere without the guards. I will be right back. If you need anything, signal to Antonio or Mathew, they will be at your beck and call", I mutter to her, dragging my chair closer to her as fear begins to skate on her expression.

"What happened?" she questions immediately just like I know she will.

"Nothing happened."

"Where are you going then?" she requests of me, suddenly nervous about being left alone amid strangers.

"I need to see a business associate. I will be back in a jiffy", I murmur, flashing her a smug smile before patting her back.

She nods reluctantly as I rise and adjust my suit.

Vicenzo's attention is back on us now, especially on her. The need to protect her, then by all, means is overwhelming. She is my wife and if he doesn't know she is, I should make it known to him tonight.

Leaning down slowly, I whisper into her ears since he is still watching. "I will be right back, Mia cara."

She seems taken aback by my actions. I avert my gaze from her and walk towards Vicenzo who has a proud smile, making me think of just how I plan to deal with him if he ever tries to do anything nasty.

"Hello Vincenzo Giovanni '', I stretch a hand at him as soon as I am close enough.

He nods at me and takes my hand. "Good day to you too, Xavier Ravarivelo."

****

Who is Vicenzo?

Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️