CHAPTER 40

Jasmine's POV 

The thought of going out to get Grandma a gift is what woke me up this morning. 

The joyful feeling since we arrived here last night and the happiness associated with the gift she gave me which I haven't been able to bring myself to unwrap is something I haven't felt in years.

She reminds me of parental love. The same love which I was deprived of. She makes me feel like this is home, where I ought to be all these years.

I feel indebted to people easily.

Right now, I already feel indebted to her. The moment she gave me that gift, I felt indebted which is why I haven't unwrapped the gift even though curiosity is eating at me.

I want to get her something. Then finally, I can open the gift to see what is inside.

A smile has been plastered on my face right from where I woke up, stretching my whole body as I yawned loudly, only to realize Xavier wasn't in bed with me.

I can literally count the number of times I woke up to see him in bed with me. He is always out and working on his laptop. 

I open the bathroom door hurriedly to come out after a quick bath only to see Xavier standing right in front of the door. I stand rigidly, thankful that I am not making the same mistake from the other day; walking out of the bathroom without a towel.

"Where are you going?" he demands, peering down at me.

I didn't tell him anything. We haven't seen each other this morning. I only saw him last night before sleep overtook me so I guess he must have heard that I instructed one of the drivers to get ready to take me out.

I haven't seen Xavier's men and even though they were here, I wouldn't have asked any of them to take me out. I don't like Ethan and I'm sure Harry doesn't know anyone here like me.

I spoke to one of Grandma's men and he took me to the driver on duty. An experienced driver is what I need since I don't know anywhere here.

I actually wanted it to be a surprise. I plan to sneak out without Grandma's knowledge but I didn't think of what Xavier would think.

Walking past him, I answer. "I want to get Grandma a gift from the nearby antique store. I hear it's just a five-minute drive from here."

Silence falls.

He isn't saying anything and my back is to him. Suddenly, it dawns on me that I will need some money to get the gift and I don't have any.

If he hadn't come in, what would I have done?

I'm so silly. I didn't think of that since I woke up. 

"Can you please help me with your credit card?" I ask him with doubt. I hope he can trust me with it and not think I want to leave the country with his money.

That is not my plan even though it seems achievable.

When he does not say a word, I turn back. He is watching me with arms akimbo. "Get dressed, we are going together."

With that said, he turns on his heels and takes the door out, leaving me with my mouth agape.

I was right. He thinks I want to elope. That is why he wants to follow me to the antique store. Isn't he too busy for that?

Instead of feeling sad, a smile crawls slowly to my face. I am not Andre. I am not as courageous as she is and I would never plan to elope in a strange country like this.

Hurriedly, I get dressed, and check my face in the mirror before heading out. The car engine has already been ignited and Xavier is inside. One of the guards opens the door for me and I sit next to him at the back. The car rolls out of the villa instantly.

The silence between us is extremely awkward, reminding me of our trip last night both on that private jet and in the car. The flight was extremely quiet but the short car ride was something else.

The look in his eyes when I embraced him out of fear. He looked like someone who would kill for me. He looked like he would protect me with everything he had. He looked like the exact image of a caring husband that I always daydreamed about before he kidnapped me from Chicago.

Those stares were weird and it made a thousand questions run through my head.

Five minutes later, the car stops and the driver comes down to open the door for me. It doesn't take time before I see the antique store.

Without waiting to see if Xavier is out of the car or behind me, I amble close to the entrance and enter immediately, my jaws dropping open at the beautiful paintings right from the entrance up to the section where there are antiques.

Now, I don't know what to choose. I don't even have an idea what she would like. The thought of coming to an antique store came to my head because of her age and also because of the nature of the villa's architectural structure. I believe she would love something historic.

There are a few customers around as I find my way to the attendant.

"Hi", I wave at her shyly when it gets to my turn. I will need her help to select something nice for Grandma.

"Hi, how may I help you? Are you here to take a look around or are you here for a purchase?"

"I am here to purchase something nice for my Grandma", I find myself saying with a smile. She nods at me in understanding before turning back to show me some beautiful paintings behind her.

"A fine collection of a painting like this would do. I'm sure she would like it", she points towards one of the brightest paintings which has a blend of bright atmospheric colors.

The painting will do but the idea of getting something else, probably antique jewelry, reaches my mind as the thought of how to pay joins.

I suddenly gasped.

Turning around, I almost curse when there is no sign of Xavier behind me. Not even a single guard to ask about his whereabouts.

Where the hell is he?

Bringing out my phone as the attendant continues to watch me with a faltered smile, I also realize I don't have his number.

Shit!

"Can we package it for you, ma'am?" the pleasant smile is back on her face. "Or you would like to check something else?"

I don't nod. "How much is that particular painting?" I find myself asking, hoping that damn man will appear before the painting is packaged as my hands tremble in fear of what would happen if he doesn't appear.

Won't it look like I am a bum? Like I came here to steal a collection in the presence of a purchase?

This isn't America. This is a strange land and the thought of what they would do to me scares the shit out of me.

"Ten thousand dollars for this", she picks up the painting with pride as my eyes go wide in surprise. Without taking note of my expression, she passes the painting to someone else who walks along, probably to get it packaged.

I haven't even said I am buying it. Where the hell will I get 10 thousand dollars?

The thought of going back out to find Xavier hits me but I don't know how to tell her I need to find my husband before making the payment.

When she turns her attention back to me, I force out a smile without saying a word.

"Hi", a grouchy voice says next to me, making me realize he has been behind me all along. "You are American?"

I stare at him, wondering why and how he knows I am American. Do I look American? Or is it because I am speaking English with the attendant instead of Italian?

Without a word, I nod and he lets out a smile while I continue to wait for that damn man I call husband.

"You look bothered about something. Is it the painting? Can't you find your purse or something? I've been watching you for a smile…"

"I'm fine", I force it out, alongside a half smile, hoping he will let me be.

"Of course not. You don't look a bit fine to me. I can be your knight in shining armor, how much is it?"

If only I don't have an option, then this doesn't seem like a bad idea. But I don't even know him or know what his intentions are towards me as he smirks with mischief in his eyes.

"I'm fine."

"Hey", he insists, taking hold of my hand when I see the attendant coming back with the package painting and I want to go out to check Xavier.

Looking down at him holding my hand, anger simmers within me, finally getting to see what he wants. He wants to take advantage of my situation. Pay for the painting and have his way with me in return for the favor.

"Can you please let me go?" I ask politely, hesitating from telling him that I want to go in search of my husband or that I am married.

He shakes his head and moves closer, his awful breath hitting my entire face. "I can help you, you know?"

"Here is your package", The attendant rakes the wrapped painting from him and stretches it to me.

Before I can tell her what the problem is or ask this damn man to let go of me once again, a force hits us both, making the man beside me drop to the floor with a groan while I stumble and get caught in the arms of the man I call husband.

Our eyes meet as he holds me in his arms, like a child who needs protection. It takes a while for me to realize what he has done and when I do, a sudden lump gets stuck in my throat and I try to swallow it.

"Are you ok?" his face is expressionless as he asks me and I nod because I can't talk. There is a huge lump stuck in my throat.

Finally, he straightens me up and I turn back to see two men holding the strange awful man.

Xavier holds my hand as he watches the man. People are beginning to gather around and I am a bit uncomfortable.

He turns to the attendant, grabs the painting from her before passing it to the driver who is right behind us, and then gives her his credit card without a word.

Shakily, the attendant gets to work and within minutes, she passes the receipt and the credit card back to him with trembling hands.

The two guards are still holding the man, making me wonder if we were followed by them. I don't even know them. They aren't Ethan or Harry or any of the guys we came with from New York. 

Are they one of Grandma's men?

Xavier leaves my hand and takes two long strides towards the struggling man. Without hesitation, he throws a jab to his jaw, making him groan, then punches his face before producing a gun from nowhere.

A gasp leaves my mouth too as I take a step back. Murmurs rise.

"No man is allowed to touch my wife, okay?" he barks at the man who is shivering with fear at the sight of the gun.

He seems surprised at the word "wife" because his gaze shifts to me. Then he nods vigorously before saying something in Italian, probably an apology.

Scared that Xavier will do something rash or still beat him, I move closer and touch his tense shoulder. "Can we go please?"

He doesn't ignore me. He rises and instructs the guards to throw him out. When he puts the gun back in his position, we stare at each other in silence and I almost think he will ask me if I am fine again.

He doesn't.

Instead, he grabs my hand, entwining his fingers with mine before walking with me right beside him towards the exit as we leave a trail of murmurs from the customers in the store.

****
What a possessive man!😂

Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️