13 - Draconic Wishes

30th, Darion, 771

I remember a dragon. He could take human form as many are capable. I worked for him during his stay, the king was trying to make an alliance. I have a feeling this ended badly, but the history books glaze over this emissary, as if no one quite remembers him. I can't pinpoint his name in any of the memories I've recovered.

This is...perhaps connected with that white dragon behind the paint. But I don't want to dig too deep yet, this memory has always been sensitive. I've woken up from nightmares ever since seeing the dragon two days ago, my mind isn't as sharp as it should be, it's dulling my thoughts.

5th, Warrior, 771

The weather is getting warmer. It's been three weeks to the day since I arrived at Reiaran. Niun finally contacted me with thanks about the hiding spot, he said I could visit Jeref whenever, but I know there are memories hiding there, the painful kind. I need to settle some things first.

Eliax flipped through the notebook, alone in her room, feeling tension as she surfaced a memory by force. It took a bit of prodding for this one, but it wasn't a painful memory, it was just more closely connected to the painful ones.

Beside her was a tray of cookies from Alsen, who had seemed rather worried about her. "You haven't left the house all week!" She'd complained.

Eliax was simply busy, but she had thanked her for her concern anyway and took the cookies. Food was perhaps one of the greatest ways to get the resonance on her side.

She closed her eyes as she bit into one and let herself become someone else.

I remembered her voice. Mistress Raia. The things she'd taught us, calligraphy, self defense, the basics of housekeeping magic. She got us all tested for affinities, the things that everyone has. Most folks have two or three, some only have one but I have two. Even if one is more useless than a dragon's favor.

I remembered her lessons, anything and everything that we might need to survive in this world. We had no parents, all we had was each other.

"Can anyone tell me why the dragons are so effective? They pillage and destroy, but what makes them so powerful?"

I raised my hand enthusiastically. "They're super big! Lot's of them breathe fire! All of them are reeeeaaaalllllly magical mages!"

Raia smiled, "Very good Foralen. Anyone else?"

"Oh! Is it because they're all immortal?" Someone piped in.

Raia nodded, "Yes. Exactly. They've had hundreds of years to get more powerful."

I shot the girl a look of hatred, how dare she steal the correct answer! "What does that have to do with anything! Don't we have immortals too?"

Raia paused, "Well, have any of you heard of Alpitha?"

There was silence.

"Alpitha." Lady Raia continued, "Was a dragon. One of the first ones. She had a unique ability that no one has ever been born with since. She could wish for anything and it would happen. They say Gium sealed her away, but before that happened she shaped the world as we know it. Alpitha separated the dragonlands from the rest of the world, she pulled Yera from the sea, she shaped the barriers between the isle of dreams and Sanaria. Her last act before she was taken away was a promise. A promise that every dragon would be given one wish to use through their entire lives."

I raised my hand again, waiting for her to let me speak. "So." I started at her nod, "They're all powerful because their grandma gave them wishes?" I heard stifled laughter behind me and grinned. Filing away the joke as an effective one.