6.5 - Thinweave

--- Hivren ---

"-he's not going to reconsider this stupid idea of his?"

Hivren shrugged helplessly, knowing exactly how his uncle was. "Sorry, I don't think so." he held out the letter in question and the illusionist took it with a frown, scanning the paragraphs with her strange eyes. Hivren had once asked her how she even knew his uncle, but he only ever got vague answers from both of them and sometimes a far-off look.

At one point she set the page down with a sigh, massaging her temples and muttering. "Harrel you idiot..." after a bit she glanced back at Hivren, "I'll do the commision, but only because I don't want him to go off to the dragonlands without anything." this was another thing Hivren had noticed about her, she cared about the life of someone more than whether or not what they were doing was right.

Hivren paused, frowning, "You really think he'd do that? Without a team? Without supplies?" Hivren himself had received many lectures from his uncle about what not to do if he decided to go adventuring, and that was at the top of the list.

Aymiae raised an eyebrow, "Yes. Yes I do. Your uncle thinks he's immortal. Sparks, I used to think he might be, he just has a way about him." That was far too true. Hivren could easily see him taking down three dragons by himself and at the end simply remarking that one of them owed him money.

There was silence for a long moment. Eventually Hivren remembered the bit that wasn't included in the letter, "Well, he's sending a bunch of thinweave roots in a few weeks, I can get it for you. Harrel said he won't be leaving for another month or so."

The woman nodded absently, frowning at the letter, "When you see him next, tell him he needs to let me know this time if he survives so I can kill him myself for not telling me last time."

"Let's both hope this is the last of his expeditions..."

--

Hivren found that when he didn't understand something, it was best to figure it out before it bit him in the backside. He'd learned this through years with parents who didn't tell him things, and the skill was surprisingly transferable because by this point, he'd looked up countless facts in libraries and archives.

He tried not to think about that one time he'd decided based just on the tea she was drinking that his aunt was pregnant. After that it was an embarrassing couple of months in which he was proven completely wrong. Since then, Hivren never shared his theories with anyone unless they seemed dangerous to keep to himself.

As such, Hivren found himself in the library, looking up the magical and mundane uses of thinweave root. It hadn't specified in the letter what uncle Harrel needed the potion to do, but he'd clearly needed it plenty of times because Aymiae hadn't even asked for clarification.

The first book on plants wasn't very helpful, it only stated that thinweave 'isn't edible unless cooked in a pot of pure verdant essence' but everything was edible if you did that. The next book only told him where it was found and a general description with some badly done renditions, which was interesting, but not particularly helpful.

After five books of getting roughly that much, discovering that it was used for weaving by some old societies, and eventually moving to the alchemy section, Hivren finally picked up a book that seemed more promising, he located the index, searched for 'thinweave' and eventually found his way to the magical attributes section for the roots.

Thinweave root: Increases the effects of any sensory-arts. When combined with Ori leaves, it strengthens illusions beyond mortal abilities and away from simple light/sound. Certain combinations can even fool dragons.

Uncle Harrel wasn't just going on another expedition, he was going to the dragonlands. Hivren stared at the page for quite a bit, remembering belatedly that he had some sort of unknown vendetta against the place.

Hivren just wished he knew why.