ix. lies of ommission

"Want to go punch a tree? "

»»———-  ———-««

It's been five days since they rescued Liam and Hayden. Only five days, but to the little group of friends it felt like a century. Nothing felt the same anymore and pretty much everyone was distant.

Kira was gone, left to try to control her powers. Everyone was keeping some sort of secret. Liam was giving Hayden all his attention and lashing out at the others. Asher was one of the worst though, and everyone could tell just by how she was pulling away from Lydia.

The banshee was her safe space, her girlfriend, her favorite person, her anchor, yet Asher was spending more and more time alone. Everyone noticed it, but no one said a thing. They'd prefer to keep their blood in their bodies.

She kept searching for the nemeton with Lydia, Stiles, and Reya, though. She wouldn't give up. Even if it led her to murdering Stiles for being as annoying as he was.

That's where they are now, walking through the preserve on their hunt for this giant tree stump.

Asher let out an annoyed groan as she fell backwards on the ground.

"It's almost like this thing doesn't wanna be found." Stiles' voice enters her ears.

The lioness lifts her head out of the leaves and peaks up at him. "Maybe it just doesn't want you to find it."

He looked down at her and rolled his eyes. "Very funny, Asher."

"I try."

"Maybe it knows we're late for class." Lydia adds. "Because we've been here twice."

Everyone turns to look at the tree they Lydia recently marked with chalk, seeing two white X's.

Reya hangs her head. "That sucks."

"Can we go to Parrish now?" Asher asks, voice laced with impatience.