ii. damnatio memoriae

" Torture isn't working. Plan B. "

»»———-  ———-««

Her footsteps carefully patter across the floor of the animal clinic. She recognizes the place immediately. The smell, the feel, the energy just floating around the small building.

Yet, when the scent of blood fills her nose, she stops in her tracks. It wasn't an unusual smell for the clinic, but this... this seemed different.

She slowly started walking again, entering the main room they all used. Her eyes scanned the small room with the medical table inside, and nothing could have prepared her for what, or more like who, she saw on that table.

Her heart dropped to her feet as she finally made it next to the table. Tears pooled in her eyes immediately at the sight. The teenager could just stare in absolute sorrow. Why was this happening? What was the reason she seeing this? Seeing him like this?

His face was covered in blood, his skull caved in from being crushed with someone's bare hands. The man's eyes were still open and the blank confusion swimming in his eyes was apparent.

"Ennis..." Her voice whispered out. 

As if his name was some sort of trigger, his dead eyes snapped over to meet hers. She jumped back slightly. The man slowly sat up and, what she thought was dry, blood dripped down. 

"You could have stopped this." His voice is hoarse, almost like he hadn't spoken a single word in years. That was almost true.

The girl let out a quick breath. She was terrified by what she was seeing. "W- What?"

"I'm dead... because you weren't strong enough."  Ennis slurs.

"I tried to help you." She squeaked out. "I couldn't get out of his grip."

The man's head tilts ever so slightly. "You're supposed to strong, A. How am I to believe that when one man's hand is enough to keep you still?'