『21』

When we arrived to the hospital, it was like we arrived in a new world. There were vehicles everywhere which wouldn't be a contrast to the normal parking lot if most car doors weren't left open.

"Why's everyone running?" Carl wonders.

I click the lock button, just to make sure they were all down and safe.

"We're not going in?" Carl asks.

"Not right now.. Hang on," I answer, turning the car off and taking out my phone.

I call Shane and the line rings and rings. Then, it goes to voicemail. That's odd. I scroll through my limited contacts and call Lori's phone. Still nothing.

I take my seatbelt off and watch as a woman runs past my window, screaming.

"Someone's hurt," Carl says, pointing out his window.

"This is a hospital, Carl," I remind. "They come here because they're hurt."

I purse my lips and tap the steering wheel.

A loud whirring noise starts. I lean forward and peer out the top of the dash window. A helicopter was flying out from the roof.

"Ah, shit," I whisper.

"What?"

"I guess they're moving patients earlier than expected."

"So.. my dad is being moved to Atlanta?"

Everyone running.. The panic that seemed to be starting. Shane and Lori not answering their phones..

"Come on," I urge and unlock the doors.

"I don't think we should go," Carl whispers, poking at his seatbelt.

"No one is answering the phone, bud. I've gotta go in and find them."

"So, let me stay in here."

I scoff and open my door. "Yeah, right. That's too dangerous. You know you're not allowed to sit in the car by yourself."

"Mom lets me when she's pumping gas," he argues and unbuckles himself.

"That's different. It's close and she's only inside for like a minute tops."

Once out of the car, I hold my hand open for Carl and he grasps my palm, squeezing tightly.

"I'm sure it's all fine," I assure, leading us inside. "People get upset when things happen on short notice."

We walk into the hospital and see that it is nearly empty now. Some of the desks were even empty from the usual women who signed people in for the emergency room. The Subway that was inside for guests was even closed for the day.

"You wanna push the elevator button?" I ask Carl.

He grins and pokes the button. The elevator descends to our level and I usher Carl in first. 

"Fourth floor, right?" Carl remembers.

"You got it," I say with a smile and lean on the railing of the elevator.

Carl pushes the button and does a happy little hop.

"Good job," I praise as he hurries to my side.

He giggles and wraps his arms around my waist, resting his head on my hip. "Are you gonna call Mom again?"

"I was trying," I reveal as the line is once again sent to voice mail.

The elevator stops and I look up to find we are only on the second floor. A woman steps inside and smiles kindly to Carl.