『44』

I darted through the house and pushed past the other women and Hershel. I was already to the RV by the time they made it outside.

"What happened?" I ask Dale and Andrea.

Andrea fumbles down the ladder. "There's.. He.. I thought.."

I roll my eyes and look around. Dale points in a certain direction as he begins to walk that way. I spot Shane and Glenn. I start running in that direction.

"Rick!" Lori screams as the group makes it to the RV.

"Oh, my god. Oh, my God, is he dead?" Andrea asks as she, Dale, and I run through the field.

"Unconscious. You just grazed him," Rick answers.

As if Lori didn't have me stressed enough already, I finally catch that Rick and Shane are toting a bloodied Daryl.

Shot.

Andrea.

Andrea shot Daryl.

"Andrea, what the fuck?" I question.

"I thought he was a walker!" she defends.

"You don't know how to look through a fucking scope?!"

"I did, but the sun was-"

Andrea's words fall flat as my fist knocks against her jaw. She falls to the grass.

"Hyejin!" Glenn calls.

"Are you fucking stupid?!" I question Andrea.

"Leave it!" Rick shouts. "Daryl needs help!"

Rick and Shane had already dragged Daryl a few feet away.

"This bitch is about to need help!" I shout back, stomping to Andrea.

I stand straddle of her and grab her collar, dragging her to sit up.

"Hyejin!" Glenn pleads.

"Guys!" T-Dog screams above everyone and the chaos.

My hand freezes in mid-air as T-Dog holds up a raggedy doll.

"Isn't this Sophia's?" he asks.

--

After Hershel stitched up Daryl's head from the gunshot graze, he left with Rick and Shane.

I throw my head back in the chair beside Daryl's bed and puff out a big breath.

Daryl explained the extent of his injuries. He fell down a small cliffside a couple of times after being bucked off by one of Hershel's horses. He found Sophia's doll in a creek. And amidst all that, his arrow got stabbed in his side during the first tumble.

"Don't blame yourself. I wanted some time alone," Daryl speaks up.

"Who said I was sad about not going with you? Damn, you think that highly of yourself?" I joke.

He scoffs a laugh. I smile and look at him properly.

"You know, you kinda look like a redneck apocalyptic Naruto," I say, pointing to the bandages wrapped around his head like a headband.

"I'm gonna take your word on that one," he comments. "But, really. Don't kick yourself in the ass for not being there."

"Wish I was," I admit. "Even beyond just helping you."

"Don't tell me you got some kinda drama."

"Man, you don't know the half of it."

The door opens and Carol pops her head in. Daryl tugs the sheet up over his chest and back and looks at her.

"Hey.. dinner is ready. Why don't you two come sit and join us?" she asks.

"I'm good. Antibiotics are kicking my ass," Daryl assures.

"Hyejin?" Carol asks.

I shake my head. "Don't want to sit at the kids' table. I'll go out on watch, just give me a second," I decide.

"Are you sure?"

I send her a gentle smile. "I'm sure."

"Daryl, I'll be right back," she whispers and ducks out of the room again.

"Damn. Everyone is getting laid except me," I lightly joke and put my feet on the floor.

"Ain't nobody getting laid over here," Daryl argues. "She's just saying that 'cause I was looking for Sophia. She'd do the same for Rick and Shane."

"Rick, Shane, and people getting laid is the last words that need to be in the same conversation," I say with a frown as I stand up.

"This about Lori?"

"How'd you know?"

"How'd I not?" he scoffs. "Anyone with a brain can see it. Hell, I'm sure Rick already knows."

"All that.. and you still don't know the half of it," I sigh and walk to the door. "I'll see you later. I'm gonna go on watch while everyone has Thanksgiving."

"Don't shoot anyone. We're runnin' outta antibiotics."