『49』

The second Hershel, Otis, and Jimmy emerged from the woods with walkers on snare poles, I knew things were going to get out of hand quickly.

It was one thing to know about the barn. It was another to see them in the act of putting walkers in there.

"Go to the RV, get the guns, now!" Shane snaps at Andrea.

Andrea turns on her heel and runs to the RV without further questions.

Rick leads the run to the barn. By the time everyone is down there, it was a screaming match.

"Just leave us be!" Hershel shouts.

The walker in his snare pole breaks free, Hershel's elderly grip failing.

The woman marches forward and stumbles to Jimmy.

"Jimmy!" Otis shouts in alarm.

I rush forward, but Shane grabs me around the waist.

"What the hell?" I ask him.

"They need to see," he says.

"That's fucked!" I argue, fighting in his grasp.

Patricia suddenly pushes her son backward. The walker grabs her around the waist and sinks its teeth into her neck.

"Honey!" Otis cries out. "No!"

T-Dog and Glenn pull the walker off of Patricia who falls to the ground. Andrea returns with the bag of guns.

"Goddammit!" Shane curses. "This is why we can't sleep with this barn in arm's reach, Hershel!"

Hershel looked out of it. He still had a hold of the empty snare pole. Shane snatches the bag from Andrea.

Otis falls to his knees as he cries. He drops the snare pole. Rick shouts in alarm and runs to it, barely managing to catch the pole before another walker is loose.

Patricia continues screaming in pain. Suddenly, a gunshot rings through the air. The walker that bit Patricia falls to the ground at Shane's feet- he is still holding the gun.

"Can't you see it?!" Shane screams at Hershel. "These things ain't sick! They're killers!"

Otis crawls over to his bleeding-out wife. Jimmy and Beth kneel beside her.

My eyes dart around to find Lori and Carl. They were standing further back in the crowd- Lori guarding Carl behind her.

Shane says something else, but I can't hear it over my heartbeat in my ears and the look of fear on Carl's face.

"Take the snare!" Rick shouts, breaking me from my thoughts. "Someone!"

I shake my head and look at Shane. I curse under my breath when I see he's hitting the lock on the barn with a pickaxe.

"Hyejin!" Rick screams.

Did he want me to stop Shane or grab the pole?

Against my better judgment, I run forward. I wrap my hands around Shane's arm, stopping him from swinging the axe again.

"Stop it!" I shout. "You're doing too much!"

"Nah, I ain't doing enough!" he argues, ripping out of my hold. "It's time to finish this shit!"

"Shane!" I plead, grabbing his shirt to grapple my way back to holding his arm.

I jerk him back, though he hardly budges. When he pulls from my grip again, he flings his arm back and pushes me to the ground.

I fall to the ground with a 'thump', dust flying around me. Shane snaps the lock and rips the chains off the door.

I could still hear Rick and the others shouting for Shane to stop. Lori kept screaming Rick's name.

The doors open. Shane turns around and grabs my jacket, pulling me to my feet. I stumble over myself as he drags me further away from the doors. Then, when we're at a safer distance, he shoves a gun in my hands.

"Now, fight!" he barks the order in my face.

He turns and points the gun at the barn. Slowly, the doors open. The first walker steps out. Then, the second.

Andrea runs forward to stand in the same line. T-Dog follows. My hands tremble as I hold the gun, though I don't aim it. Daryl runs over with a shotgun and helps clear the walkers as they stride out of the barn. After he gets permission from Maggie, Glenn joins in the shootout.

I never raise my gun. I just stand there and watch. I was once again a bystander. I felt nauseated. 

I hear Hershel and his family crying behind me. I couldn't imagine how they felt. They thought the walkers were sick.. everyone in that barn was someone that they knew.. some were family. And they were just being shot down one by one.

A walker makes her way out with long black hair. She stumbles over one of the others that gets shot.

It was like my eyes locked with the walker's for a moment.

My blood runs cold.

My body tremors from the inside out.

"Unnie.." I whisper. "Jiwoo.."

Jiwoo still looked the same as the day I last saw her. Just a little taller.. rotted at the skin from being a walker.

My sister. My answers. She was here. How? Why? When?

A bullet fires from Shane's gun and shoots Jiwoo in the head.

"No!" the wail escapes from my lips, unbeknownst to my mind.

I went toward her, but Daryl grabbed the back of my jacket.

A burning sensation rises from my gut to my brain. Rage. A rage I'd never felt so strongly. Infuriation. A furious, deeply rooted anger that I wasn't aware even existed.

"Shane, please!" Rick continues to beg.

I draw the gun back and stomp forward. I bash the butt of the gun against the back of Shane's head. When he falls to the ground, unconscious, I walk away from the barn.

By the time I make it to the fence, the shooting has stopped.

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

you think you know my next move but you dont