Week One, Saturday

Week One, Saturday

    Ayano wakes up at eight the next morning, and moves quietly to avoid waking Kokona as she heads to the kitchen. She starts to make breakfast for both of them, and takes the time as a chance to think over her plan she thought of last night.

    When Kokona had said the name of the loan company, Ronshaku Loans, Ayano couldn’t help but remember Musume Ronshaku, the girl from behind the school. Ayano knows what type of girl Musume is. She, just like Ayano, cares greatly about her reputation. However, unlike Ayano, who only cares because she dislikes dealing with fights and gossip, Musume is the type to have a vile reason.

    Ayano needs to watch the girl more, but she has a hunch that she knows exactly what kind of people Musume cares about. Musume is bound to care about Ayano if she has a high reputation.

    Right now, having only been at the school for a week, Ayano is sure that her reputation is average. She has a couple of friends, she’s in a couple of clubs, but nobody knows much about her. Other than Kokona, who knows the most about her, Osano, who spends the most time with her, and Taro, who is kind to her, nobody really recognizes Ayano Aishi.

    It seems like it’s time for Ayano to change that.

    After years of working emotions and words like equations, it’s second-nature for Ayano to know what to do and say to make people like her.

    “Hey, Kokona?” Ayano had said last night, laying on her stomach as she peered down at Kokona, who was wrapped in blankets on the floor.

    “What’s up, Ayano?” Kokona had responded, curious.

    “I’m just wondering...about our performance for the Drama Club. We’re performing Saturday night next week, right?”

    Kokona nodded. “Yep! It’s going to be amazing! And Kizano is returning that morning! He actually texted Tsuruzo earlier this morning, asking if our play was,” Kokona lowered her voice, “‘Up to his standards.’”

    “Is it?” Ayano asked.

    “Of course it is! We’d never do a play if it wasn’t as perfect as it possibly could be. We all had to approve of the show before opening up auditions. When we vote the next play, you’ll be part of the decision-making, too!”

    Ayano was content with that answer, but she had another question. “Speaking of Kizano coming to the play, how many people usually show up? If the play is only one night, do a lot of people bother coming?”

    Kokona was practically preening at the question. “Ayano, the whole school shows up to our performances! The price to come watch is small, and everyone is always impressed by our club! That’s why the Student Council will never get rid of our club, or complain when we need more club money than the others. We bring in the most money every year of all of the clubs, with the Cooking Club second behind us.” She was proud as she boasted about the club. It made Ayano feel something, and she was sure it was the closest to pride she could feel in that moment.

    Ayano let the topic switch then, allowing Kokona to rant about the fact that she had a test on Thursday in science class...