Week Nine, Friday

Week Nine, Friday

    Ayano wakes up early to her phone buzzing, buzzing, buzzing. Surprised by the way the buzzing doesn’t stop, she gets up and checks her phone. It’s her mother.

    Ayano is quick to accept the call. She shouldn’t make her mother wait so long.

    “Ayano, dearie, how are you?” Her mother’s voice comes in, sickeningly sweet and too high pitched. Ayano lowers the volume by one.

    “I’m fine,” Ayano replies, rubbing her eyes as she wakes up. “I’ve been acing all of my classes, as usual.”

    “And have you met anyone new?” Her mother asks, just like she did last time, all of those weeks ago. 

    And this time, Ayano plays dumb. She ignores the meaning behind the words, and clears her throat. “Actually, yes. I’ve met a lot of people in my school, and have made a lot of friends. I’ve joined the Student Council, too.”

    “Another club?” Her father asks, sounding impressed. “Ayano, that’s a lot of work. You’re in three now, aren’t you?”

    “I manage, dad,” Ayano responds easily, moving to pull out her uniform. “I’ve always been good with getting everything done.”

    Her mother giggles. “I was the same way, dearie. Why, I was always running about, always trying to help out my classmates. I assume you’re doing the same?”

    Ayano freezes, free hand clenching the heart choker tightly. Because she does try to help, though usually it’s for love. 

    And her mother only helped out to improve her chances with her love .

    The same purpose, different motivations. The second half makes Ayano breathe again.

    “Yes, mother. I’ve helped a lot of people.” She keeps it short and simple. Ayano doesn’t want to give her emotions away, doesn’t want to let her mother know about her joy.

    Doesn’t want to be seen as the anomaly that she’s become. Not like this.

    Luckily, her mother doesn’t really care to ask much more. 

    “Well, dearie, we’ll be back in a couple of weeks! I think we’re almost done seeing everything that North America has to offer.” She giggles. “Perhaps we can bring you back a souvenir. Anything you want, Ayano?”

    She’s in such a good mood.

    Ayano shakes her head, even though her mother can’t see it. “No, thank you. I should go, I need to get ready for school or I will be late.”

    Her mother just giggles again. “Goodbye, dearie. We’ll be back before you know it.”

    Ayano hangs up, and drops the phone onto her dresser. She pulls on her uniform, trying to ignore those giggles.

    She can’t.

    Ayano can only hope that her mother is so happy from the extra time around her father. She hopes that their ‘good friend’ is safe and unfound.