Week Ten, Tuesday

Week Ten, Tuesday

    Ayano has a text from an unknown number when she wakes up. At first, she feels nervous, unsure of who could have possibly gotten her number. Afraid, Ayano ignores the text’s content and moves to get ready for the day, instead.

    Unknown numbers are always a gamble, in Ayano’s mind. She’s never sure if it will be someone good, or someone like him . She’s afraid to find out every single time. So, instead, Ayano doesn’t look. She goes through her routine, getting dressed and pulling her hair into its signature ponytail, leaving her bangs to fall freely. Grabbing some toast and her stuff, Ayano exits her home. 

    Osorō isn’t with the rest of the boys today, but Ayano doesn’t expect him to be. He doesn’t seem to keep a morning, or lunch, routine now that Ayano thinks about it. He just comes and goes. Ayano just greets the six boys who are at her door, and they greet her back just as happily.

    It’s while talking to Osano that Ayano remembers the text. Nerves fill her once more, and it must show, because Osano pauses.

    “What’s wrong, Aya?” He asks, and Ayano shrugs.

    “It’s silly, but an unknown number texted me.”

    Osano frowns. “And?”

    “I’m too scared to check what they said.” Ayano frowns, disappointed in herself. She should be better by now, shouldn’t she? It’s been weeks, and her friends have been here to help and support her. Why does she still have these moments?

    Her internal questions are cut off by Osano clearing his throat. “I can check, if you want? I’ll tell you if it’s good or not.” He blushes. “If you want, that is.”

    Ayano can’t help but feel relieved when he offers. “Please do,” she says, and hands Osano her phone after unlocking it.

    Osano is quick to read the message, and he smiles at her comfortingly after a few seconds. “You’re fine. It’s just Megamo.”

    Taking in a deep breath- when had she forgotten to breathe?- Ayano takes the phone back. “Thank you, Osano.” Ayano smiles at the boy, then reads Megamo’s texts.

    ‘ Hello, Ayano. This is Megamo. I’ve been given your number by Akane, who says I need to have all of my Council’s contacts. 

    ‘ I’d like to thank you again for lunch, too. So, thank you. 

    Ayano can’t help but smile wider, amused by the formality in Megamo’s texting. 

    She’s replying before she knows it.

    ‘ Hi, Megamo. I’m glad that you enjoyed lunch. You’re welcome to join us again whenever you’d like! ’ Adding the exclamation mark for good measure, breaking the formal tone he tried to create, Ayano sends the text.

    When the group gets to school, they all go their separate ways. Ayano heads for the Student Council room, greeting a few of her peers as she goes. They return the sentiment with a smile or a wave, and Ayano is happy when she steps into her club room.