Eleven

"I hope that today's meeting sprouts results that may please you and me, Alrik"

You sit across from the reballion's leader as the servants place tea into the cups before taking their leave.

"I believe it will"

You raise an eyebrow at his confidence, finding it amusing.

"And how can you be so sure, are you not the same person who is trying to overthrow me?" you inquire, teasingly.

"I'm not trying to overthrow you, I'm trying to overthrow the government" Alrik asserts.

"And what kind of government do you propose to replace it with?" you ask, interested in his answer.

"A government that puts the will of the people above everything else, one that puts their needs first, one that isn't driven by greed and the hunger for power."

Alrik's answer surprises you. It's not what you expected from a rebel leader.

Most of the time, they're more focused on overthrowing the current regime and taking their place, but this guy seems different.

However, that made you realize one thing.

The government is hiding many things from you.

Your advisor, Rowan, is lying to you.

"Tell me everything from the beginning" you state, surprising Alrik.

But he smirks once he realizes you are on his side, that you are ready to change for the sake of your people.

This handsome young man became more lovesick for you.

❂❃❃❃❂

"How dare you lie to me, how dare you betray my trust?!"

You burst out those words once you and Rowan are alone in the throne room.

Rowan stays silent, allowing you to be out all of your frustrations.

"Why didn't you tell me that the kingdom needed food and weapons for the army? I would have provided you with it, instead of you taking it from the people in the form of tax and not only that but you torture those who object"

"I did it for the best of our-"

You cut him off before he could continue.

"It is me who decides what is best for this kingdom you should have taken my approval first"

Rowan stares at you in a dull manner, as if your words didn't effect him.

"You have changed"

Instead of denying it, you confirm his words.

"Indeed, and you committed treason"

He chuckles, taking hold of your hand, placing it against his lips.

"I accept whatever punishment that you have to give me, my fair queen"

You pull your hand away.

"Exiled, you are exiled"

"As you wish, my queen, but there is something I have to confess to before I leave"

Your eyes widens in shock as Rowan tells you about what his plan.

"Why would you do that?" you inquire in horror.

"I did it to take revenge"

❂❃❃❃❂

Loud explosions echo through the capital of the Western kingdom causing loud screams of terror.

"What is happening?"

David demands, seeing explosions occur through his large windows that overview the capital.

"Someone used earthenware grenades filled with quicklime and threw them into houses and the market"