Chapter 11

Word from the Vale was concerning.

"Sansa is there," said Lady Catelyn, showing the letter to Robb, Eidalya, and Roslin. "But my sister... is dead."

"This was written by Lord Royce," murmured Robb, observing the letter. "He says Lord Baelish is there... he was wed to Aunt Lysa. He's Lord Regent in Robin's stead."

Roslin hummed quietly, "Why would Lysa Arryn have leapt through the Moon Door?"

"She wouldn't have," said Lady Catelyn, sure of it. "She loved that boy of hers more than life itself. She wouldn't have left him."

Robb got to his feet, folding up the letter. "The men we sent will bring Sansa home to us. If this letter is to be believed, Lady Brienne of Tarth is there to guard her until the truth can be found. This is good, very good. We may get my sister back."

"Just in time," said Eidalya quietly. "Stannis should've crossed at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea now. The wildling attack is nearly here and soon... we will be able to gather our men to march on King's Landing."

It was a beautiful thing. Not only would Lady Catelyn have her daughter back and Robb his sister, but the North would have another heir. When it came time to leave for King's Landing, there would be an older Stark in Winterfell capable of giving commands. Sansa could command the men who stayed behind while Robb led on the battlefield.

Roslin's mood had improved significantly, so much so that Robb's anxiety did not bother her. Eidalya watched him hack at pieces of wood with the other men, all of them trying to build a new shed for their food storage and continuing to accommodate all the Lannister prisoners who were still working their lands.

Ellaria had been more than happy to take Roslin up on her offer. She was seen scarcely, likely holed up in a room exploring her sexuality. No one made comments and Eidalya was glad to see Roslin was smiling more often, speaking more eagerly to Robb and finding the confidence to be friendly, especially now that he was making his best attempt to reciprocate.

Eidalya wished she had such freedom.

She spoke to Oberyn every day (and this was mostly how she knew when Ellaria was or wasn't with Roslin). He made her laugh, he impressed her with the way he wielded his spear, even going so far as to teach some of the younger Northerners who were interested in picking up a new skill. It entertained her to watch him, and she was sure that if this marriage was going to have to last a lifetime, she could be happy in Dorne with her siblings and maybe, if peace was found, a few children. Oberyn was becoming a friend, and he was loyal to his family. It now included Tommen and Myrcella.

He promised that they'd always have a home in Dorne. This, she was pleased with. Even more so when he told her he would never force her to live there. It wouldn't be uncommon; Mellario of Norvos didn't reside in Dorne for many reasons (awful indeed) but she was still married by law to Prince Doran. Eidalya would have the freedom to decide where she wanted to go– the North or somewhere else.

Though Myrcella liked Dorne, Eidalya wasn't sure if Tommen would love the land the same way, especially if he had no one to keep him company. She couldn't imagine him and Trystane becoming close friends and even the youngest of Oberyn's daughters were very different from Tommen, personality-wise. In the North, he might have Bran and Rickon. They were about the same age, they all seemed proper and soft-spoken but still eager to have fun. She imagined Tommen would follow her to Winterfell and Myrcella might come along for a few years only before she felt ready to wed Trystane.

She almost dared to envy her little sister. No responsibilities, hardly any worries. Myrcella knew well most of what was happening in the war but she hadn't had to contribute to it. Even Tommen now wore a crown and was forced to make decisions after having several manipulative people whispering in his ear. Eidalya was trying her hardest to keep them all alive.