Chapter 21

For a moment, he simply stared.

Eidalya had been caught by surprise when Robb answered her question by picking her up, spinning her around, and setting her back down only to plant a firm kiss on her lips. She'd staggered from dizziness and leaned her head into his chest, listening as he shouted to no one in particular, "Send a raven to Winterfell! Tell them to prepare the godswood for a wedding!"

When the world came still, Robb kissed her forehead, "Of course I'll have you. I will be proud to become your husband."

"My only regret is that Jon isn't here to see it," said Eidalya softly. "Forgive me for taking so long that your brother couldn't be in attendance. I know how much that would have meant to you."

He furrowed his brows, smiling in confusion, "Forgive you?" She nodded, and he cupped her face, "Eidalya, promise me that as soon as we are wed, you will never again apologize to me for something that is not your fault in the slightest. I admire that you debated for months on this choice instead of marrying me on a whim. I would have waited a thousand years for you to be ready, you know that. It means more to me this way, to know that even when we were separated for quite some time, you returned with a heart still brimming with love for me. Jon will understand."

"You always know how to make me feel appreciated," whispered Eidalya.

"How could I not? You made me feel worthy of your love even when I have never measured up to you, my beautiful Princess. The least we can do is remind one another how much we matter despite what we perceive to be our flaws." He smiled, that boyish grin that Eidalya so loved to see, that told her that this was where she felt the safest. "I cannot wait to be married to you."

"How different will it really be?" she teased. "We've practically been wed for years."

"Yes, perhaps. But now when I am asked about you, when I am thinking about you, I can say 'my wife,' 'my love,' 'my everything,' 'my Queen.'" He ran his thumbs over her cheeks. "You and my mother were raised under the New Gods. My siblings and I under the Old, save for Sansa who acknowledges the New in addition to the Old out of respect for my mother. I'd like for us to have a wedding in the godswood, officiated by Maester Luwin if that would be alright with you. Torches to light up our place under the weirwood heart tree, but vows of the Seven said before we are pronounced man and wife."

She almost felt the need to tear up, finding his words so sweet. She wondered if she deserved him. She hoped she did. "Oh, Robb, that would be beautiful."

"Our children will be taught to believe in both," he continued. "Even if they grow in the North. And once we are wed, we won't have a bedding. I think... you and I will know when we are ready for it."

"Are you sure?" Eidalya said worriedly, feeling as though she was denying him something he might've grown used to after he married Roslin. He may not have liked Roslin romantically but he might've enjoyed the act all the same and might be eager to do the same with her. She could admit to her own curiosities in spite of her fears, so surely Robb must want to explore it, he might even be expecting it.

"Of course I'm sure," said Robb, stunned that she'd even ask. "As I said, we'll know when we're ready for that step, won't we? We'll figure it out together. Your fears are mine. I don't need to sleep with you to be a happy man, Eidalya. We don't even need to share a bed. It's enough for me that we be united under the sight of all the gods, where we will pledge our love to one another for eternity. I wouldn't mind if it was just us for the rest of our days. We don't need children to be happy. I have siblings to be my heirs. I will never, ever force you to do something you don't want to do. The two of us are enough for me. We can decide together when we're ready for more company. If we find that we desire it."