Chapter 8: Delusions?

As the day went by, I didn't notice anything different about Neon or Yuki. Neon seemed fine, and so did Yuki, so I brushed it off as some burst of strength. Maybe an adrenaline thing.

But then again, we also had gym class tomorrow, so if anything changes, I guess I'll find out.

At dinner, Neon, Mom, and I sat at the table together like we usually do. Mom didn't know what to make, so tonight we were having pizza. Half cheese on one side, half meat on the other. I was having both and so was my Mom, but I noticed Neon only had cheese on her plate, and one slice at that, whereas my Mom and I had two on our plates. Of course we'd get more later. That's just for now.

"Just one for you, Neon?" Mom asked.

"Not that hungry."

"Take some medicine if you're feeling sick again." I said, which made my Mom look at me weirdly.

"I wouldn't say I was sick."

"Then what would you call it?"

Neon shrugged, and then looked back down at her pizza. I watched her take a swig of her soda. While I looked down for a bite of my pizza, I glanced at her and saw the look on her face. 

She scrunched up her face and looked at the ceiling, then back down at the pizza. She took another drink of soda. Confused facial expression. She took a bite of her pizza. No reaction. Another bite. Nothing.

"Can I be excused?" She asked, looking at my Mom.

"But you've hardly eaten any food."

"It's very bland." Neon said. My Mom and I looked at each other, both raising a brow, and then back at Neon.

"How? Mine tastes just fine." I said. Neon shrugged again.

"It doesn't have a taste."

"Oooohh. Wait. I get it." Mom said, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms.

"Your cold is back, isn't it? Tell you what. Finish that piece and then Kira and I will have some more pizza. We won't be able to finish it, so we'll put it in the fridge once we're done, same with the soda. Deal?" Mom asked, looking at Neon.

"Okay, sure. Deal." Neon replied, a small smile crossing onto her face.

"It's not her cold. I know that's not it by now. I'll check on her once I'm done eating." I thought, looking back down and taking another bite of my pizza.
********
Mom and I were finishing up our last pieces of pizza and finishing off the soda in our cups.

"Has Neon been acting weird lately, Kira?" Mom asked, folding up the pizza box. She took it in her hands and walked towards the fridge, opened it up, and slid the box inside.

"Sort of. It's hard to explain." I responded, handing her the soda. She tipped it onto its side and slid it on the bottom area of the fridge.

"How hard can it be?" Mom asked, closing the fridge.

"Earlier today she and Yuki were able to knock Shelby over with one dodgeball each."

"You're saying she actually fell down? Fell to the floor?" Mom asked, taking her hand off the fridge door and giving me a weird look.

"Exactly."

"It was probably the combined forces of those two. You guys have all gotten stronger over the years. I don't know about Shelby."

"Yeah. Maybe you're right." I said.

With nothing else to say, Mom and I exited the dining room and went into the living room instead.
********
About an hour after dinner, I was walking up the stairs. When I saw Neon's room, I noticed her door was closed.