[ 𝟏𝟕 ] - 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐩𝐬𝐞

【 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 】

    The caterpillars that attacked Team Chris were huge—standing at almost eight feet when upright—and monstrous, green drool dripping from their mandibles while their eyes glowed red in the darkness

    The caterpillars that attacked Team Chris were huge—standing at almost eight feet when upright—and monstrous, green drool dripping from their mandibles while their eyes glowed red in the darkness. It was their growling that first alerted the team to their presence, and when Owen stoked the fire, that was when they first caught sight of them. And as if fate were mocking them even further, a caterpillar spat onto their fire, plunging them into total darkness.

    "Shit!" (Y/N) cursed when one of them bit down onto her leg, she quickly grasping around for a stick to bat it away.

    "(Y/N)!" She heard Alejandro call from somewhere, the girl fumbling around blind towards his voice. "Are you okay!?"

    "Yeah!" She shouted back.

    Eventually, (Y/N)'s hand touched someone else's, and from the way they gripped onto her tightly, she could tell that she had found Alejandro. With their hands interwoven tightly so they wouldn't lose each other in the darkness, their back pressed together, they fought off as many caterpillars as they could, able to hear the rest of their teammates doing the same.

    It was a fight for their lives.

    They wouldn't lose so easily.

    Eventually, silence descended over the clearing, but everyone was still tense.

    "Are they..." Noah called from somewhere in the dark, unknown to the others swallowing thickly as he raised his stick higher in defense. "Are they all gone? I don't hear them anymore..."

    "It seems so," Alejandro affirmed, his one eye narrowing as he strained to see.

    "What do we do now!?" Owen cried.

    "For now, let's restart the fire so we're not wandering around like blind polluelos," he shook his head with a sigh, gathering a bundle of firewood which he had saved in case of an emergency just like they were in now, it not taking long before the blaze was roaring back to life. "Everyone, come closer to the fire so we're not as vulnerable. I'll keep watch since there's only about two hours until daybreak, so get some sleep."