prologue

PROLOGUE

I stood in the middle of a supermarket isle, scowling down at my foot. It was currently in an ugly plastic boot, courtesy of the local hospital. I already hated the sympathetic looks from passing strangers who didn't even know my name.

It was crazy to think that one simple mistake had led to so much pain, both physically and mentally. One wrong landing had ruined my chances of a career in ballet. By the time my foot fully healed, it would already be too late, I'll have missed my chance to finally be someone.

After several weeks of moping around, I had finally made the difficult decision to go home. It wasn't much of a decision really, my lease was up and I had nowhere else to go.

Going back to Mystic Falls felt like such a defeat. I couldn't bare the thought of everyone mistaking me for Elena like they used to. I shuddered at the memory of Elena's ex-boyfriend kissing me, having mistook me for my sister. Now I have to live with the knowledge that Matt Donavon was my first kiss.

Shaking my head with the hopes of banishing my thoughts, I continued to slowly walk down the isle, the boot making a clunk every time I stepped on it. For that reason alone, I briefly considered hopping through the supermarket.

As if I were on autopilot, I grabbed the few essentials I needed for the trip home and placed them in the basket. The only reprieve from my brooding was the rage I felt at the price of tampons as I threw a box into the basket.

I was about to head to the checkout when I stopped suddenly. Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed the beauty isle. Changing directing, I hobbled towards the hair section, my eyes catching on the hair dye. Maybe I didn't have to get mistaken for Elena after all.

I left the supermarket smiling for the first time in weeks. When I stepped foot in Mystic Falls for the first time in years, I would be blonde.