chapter nine

CHAPTER NINE

Light flooded the room as I opened my eyes. The curtains hadn't been drawn last night; there had been more pressing matters at hand. An arm snaked around my middle, pulling me against a firm chest. I let out a content sigh as I relaxed in Elijah's arms.

"Good morning, Emilia." He said, his voice husky from sleep.

"It's not morning yet," I groaned, pulling my hand up to shield my eyes from the sun, "But if you insist on getting up, please do me the favour of closing the curtains. I didn't get much sleep last night and it's your fault."

Elijah chuckled, "It was as much your fault as it was mine."

He pressed a soft kiss on my neck before rising from the bed with a small groan. The floorboards creaked under foot as he walked over to the window, his naked ass in full view. Memories of last night flashed through my mind as I watched him close the curtains.

The way he had pinned me down and had me writhing with need until I was begging him. His breathless voice telling me what a good girl I was as he sank into me. I shuddered. I had a feeling that it would be replaying in my mind for years to come.

He turned and my eyes darted away from his body as he strode over to his wardrobe.

"Listen, Emilia, about last night..." He began as he pulled out a suit and began to get dressed.

"You don't need to let me down easy, Elijah," I said with a lazy grin as I sat up in bed, "I understand what last night was for us both."

"Oh? What was it?" Elijah asked, now fully dressed. He walked over to the nightstand to grab his Rolex watch before fastening it to his wrist.

"Revenge," I shrugged, "You hate Klaus so you fucked his girl. I hate Klaus so I fucked his brother."

"Is that what you are then? His girl?" Elijah asked stiffly as he began to pick my clothes up, which were scattered all over his bedroom floor.

"According to him, yes." I grumbled, "Your brother isn't fond of being dumped so he simply ignored me when I broke up with him."

Elijah began folding my clothes and I had to force myself not to roll my eyes. He placed them onto the bed in a neat pile before leaving the room without another word. I frowned in confusion. He came back a moment later and handed me a piece of paper with a handwritten phone number and an address.

"This is the contact information for a witch who owes me a favour." Elijah told me and I titled my head in confusion, "Your foot should have been healed by vampire blood. The fact that it wasn't leads me to believe that there is magic involved."

"Wait," I said, my mind reeling from his words, "You think that someone stopped my foot from healing?"

"That is my theory, yes," Elijah told me, "How did you injure your foot, Emilia?"

"I-I was dancing," I began, my mind taking me back to that moment, "And then I was falling."

"Why did you fall?"

"It was an easy routine, I knew the steps better than I knew myself. Everything I did was correct and yet I fell." I frowned, lost in my thoughts. A sudden, seemingly insignificant split second before the accident flashed through my mind. My eyes widened and darted to Elijah, "I felt a subtle push against my ribcage but there was nobody there. Was that magic?"

Elijah nodded grimly, "Everything that you have told me leads me to believe that there was a witch involved in your accident and injury."

"Oh my god." I whispered to myself, "Who would do such a thing?"