chapter one

CHAPTER ONE

I returned home to find my twin sister having a vampire threesome. Okay, not literally, but by the way Elena was eyeing them, I knew that if I hadn't walked in, something definitely would have happened.

"Hi!" I deadpanned, unceremoniously dumping my luggage onto the living room floor. Three pairs of shocked eyes darted in my direction and I gave them a little wave. I stood unflinchingly as the dark haired vampire sped towards me, stopping only inches away.

"Katherine?" He spat, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he looked over my dyed hair and medical boot.

"Nope, I'm Emilia, didn't my sister mention me?" I answered with a forced smile. I tilted my head to peer around the vampire and at my sister.

"Wait, you're Emilia?" The other vampire asked, looking at Elena for conformation. I stepped around the dark haired one and held out my hand to the the other.

"Correct! And you are?" I asked as he warily shook my hand.

"Stefan Salvatore." He answered, looking over my shoulder at the vampire behind me, seemingly having a wordless conversation.

"Well, it's wonderful to meet you Stefan." I answered before turning to the other vampire, "And who might this be?"

"Damon Salvatore." He said with a crooked grin as he held out his hand. I eyed him warily as I resolutely shook it.

"What are you doing here, Emilia?" Elena asked, crossing her arms.

"Who's Katherine?" I asked in lue of an answer.

My twin sister exchanged eye contact with the Salvatore's. I impatiently looked around the living room, unchanged from the last time I'd seen it, as I awaited whatever lie they would come up with.

"Just someone we know," Elena waved her hand dismissively and it took a lot of effort not to call her out on her bluff, "You know about vampires? You weren't shocked when Damon sped towards you." Elena shot a pointed look at the vampire in question.

"I do." I confirmed with a shrug.

"How?" Elena frowned at me.

"The same way I imagine you know about vampires: I slept with one." I said, enjoying the way her eyes widened at my answer.

"You slept with a vampire!?" She asked, horror and judgement lacing every word.

"Yep!" I grinned. I didn't realise how much I had missed riling her up. "I guess you're not the only twin who likes their men old and broody."

Elena narrowed her eyes at me. "As long as you don't kiss another one of my boyfriends."

"For the last time, he kissed me," I said in frustration, cursing myself that I'd taken the bait. I sighed and composed myself, "So it never happens again, which Salvatore is boyfriend? Or are you indulging in both?"

Elena rolled her eyes, leaving my question unanswered, "Why are you in town? What happened to your fancy ballet academy?"

I gestures to my injured foot, "I think this speaks for itself. Now, thank you for the warning welcome, but I shall now be retiring to my room."

I turned to leave the room when Elena said, "Oh, that's Jenna's room now."

I stopped and turned back around, puzzled. "Why didn't she take our parents room?"

"We didn't want to move their stuff out." Elena explained and I raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

"But you were fine with moving my stuff out?" I frowned, not knowing how to feel. "Where is it? Please don't tell me you donated it."

"No, it's all in the attic." Elena confirmed, "Sorry about your room but we didn't think you'd ever come back, especially since you didn't return for the funeral."

"Yeah, well, I'm full of surprises!" I shrugged and casually leant against the wall, "Where do you want me to sleep, the couch?"

"How about a hotel." Damon muttered to himself.

"You can sleep in Mom and Dad's room!" Elena suggested cheerfully, "Jenna and I can help get your things down from the attic tomorrow."

"Sounds good. Where is Jenna at the moment?" I ask, knowing my aunt must be out since she would have ran to hug me if she were home.

"She's at the hospital visiting John." Elena said and I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"John? And in Uncle John?" I asked and my twin nodded, "You didn't think that was something I should know?"

"Honestly, I didn't think you'd care." Elena shrugged, "You've spent your whole life running away from your family."

Ignoring the dig, I asked, "What happened to John?"

"Just a minor accident in the kitchen." Damon answered, "Lost a finger or two."

"Oh my God, will he be okay?" I asked, wincing at the image.

"Nothing some stitches can't fix." Damon said and if I didn't know better, I'd say that he was suppressing a grin.

"Great," I forced a smile, ready to be done with this conversation, "Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go and sleep in the same bed my dead parents had sex in."

I began to hobble up the stairs, struggling to pull my suitcase up with me when my sister called my name.

"What?" I sighed, wondering if she'd perhaps offer to help.

Elena gave me a small smile, "Blonde suits you."

***

Lying on my parents bed, I close my eyes as I listen to my phone buzz. There is only one person who calls me these days but I never pick up, not anymore. I open my eyes and glimpse the name on the screen, rage filling my chest at the sight of it.

He's been calling me every day for weeks. I desperately want him to give up, however, if he does, I fear it may break something inside of me. I let out a shaky sigh as the buzzing ends. I don't know why he bothers calling me, after all, he'll see me in person soon enough.

I turn my head to the photo on the bedside table; a picture of my father with his arm protectively around my mother. I had felt a certain animosity towards him ever since I learned how deeply his hatred for vampires ran. I hated that I now understood why. Perhaps, somehow, my father had instinctually known that one day his beloved children would need protecting from them.

As I stared at the immortalised image of his smiling face, I found myself forgiving him.

It was too bad that he'd never forgive me.